Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6d auto ISO question

Hi,

I want to make a time lapse at night in the city during twilight. I did one last week, which came out ok using auto for the ISO. Only thing was, that some of the lights were over exposed. Normally in manual mode, I would drop the exposure down a touch, maybe -1 or -2 stops. Is there a way of dropping the exposure down, but still having the setting in Auto?

Re: 6d auto ISO question

I believe exposure compensation is a bit of a rare feature on Canon cameras. I know it's on the 7D2 and believe it's on some of the 1D series models but I think that's about it, it's not common at all.

So I suspect the answer to your question is no, there isn't. I think you'll need to go manual on the ISO to get what you want.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
      I believe exposure compensation is a bit of a rare feature on Canon cameras.
      is it Andy? It was on my old 7D I'm sure, its also on my 5D - Not sure about the 6D as I've not owned one - but I agree using the cameras exposure compensation would be the way forward
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I believe exposure compensation is a bit of a rare feature on Canon cameras. I know it's on the 7D2 and believe it's on some of the 1D series models but I think that's about it, it's not common at all.

So I suspect the answer to your question is no, there isn't. I think you'll need to go manual on the ISO to get what you want.
        Some confusion here as Exposure Compensation has been a feature of every Canon camera that I've owned & that goes back to the 1970's!

However in answer to Bruiser's question - I have a 6D & can confirm that if you set ISO to Auto then applying exposure compensation will sometimes(not always) change the ISO setting. I don't have any proof but I think the 6D is set up to apply the lowest ISO setting it can when using Auto ISO - or that's the way it seems!

Applying Safety Shift or limiting the Auto ISO settings (Shooting menu tab 3) wouldn't solve your problem - as Andy says, you'll have to go Manual.

Bob
        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I will have another look at Exposure Compensation. It was locked out when I tried earlier, but now I'm wondering if that was because I use RAW.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Comment

Using Raw won't stop you accessing EC - More like because you were in Auto ? at a guess

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
              is it Andy? It was on my old 7D I'm sure, its also on my 5D - Not sure about the 6D as I've not owned one - but I agree using the cameras exposure compensation would be the way forward
              Sorry, rushed post and I may even be answering the question I thought was asked not the one that was actually asked.

EC in manual mode is a rarity on Canon cameras. EC in all other modes is pretty much universal as far as I can see.

Bruiser mentioned "Normally in manual mode" and I conflated the two. My bad.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks again. Sorry if I hadn't explained it quite right.

I wish to do a time lapse as the light is dimming, the shots will be about every 5 seconds over an hour. I can use auto to start with, but as the light is reducing, 'auto' over compensating and makes the images too bright, which in turn is blowing out the whites. The other option is to set a correct value, but the image get's to dark as the light drops. So ideally, I wanted to stop down the 'auto' and let it run its self.

Exposure Compensation doesn't appear to do it and I don't want two or more different exposure for each shot, which could also cause issues shooting every 5 seconds with the EC adjusting its exposure time and fill up my SD card.

I'm suspecting the 6d can not do this now. I'm wondering if it might be worth looking at Magic Lantern and seeing if it has a way of re-calibrating 'auto' down a notch or two.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Comment

have you looked at some of the apps you can get for phones? some of these offer some stunning features - I was reading about one recently as I was considering this but in the end just went for a bulk standard cable release - if you search on the forum you may find it

Comment

Sorry, rushed post and I may even be answering the question I thought was asked not the one that was actually asked.

EC in manual mode is a rarity on Canon cameras. EC in all other modes is pretty much universal as far as I can see.

Bruiser mentioned "Normally in manual mode" and I conflated the two. My bad.
                    Ah - I was wondering why an experienced chap like you had this wrong!

Bruiser - I am very interested in what you're trying to do - please let us know if you come up with the answer.

Bob
                    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

In manual exposure mode exposure compensation is not possible/ not there because you don't need it! You are setting the exposure yourself and it is up to you if you want to over or under expose.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                        Ah - I was wondering why an experienced chap like you had this wrong!

Bruiser - I am very interested in what you're trying to do - please let us know if you come up with the answer.

Bob
                        Hangs head in shame.

Bruiser, I can't see if this matches your requirement but it looks to have some features that may help - http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Comment

I have got exposure compensation on my 100D and use it on and off.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks again everyone,

I am actually using DSLR Controller for the intervalometer and I always shoot in manual and always have, so I'm not to aware of what the other settings do.

As the shots are every 5 seconds, it is not possible to adjust the exposure manually, thus the reason for 'auto'.

I am metering for the whole picture, not spot metering. In some ways, I could do with an app that reads the histogram and fine tunes the exposure accordingly and compresses the highs to keep everything even, but I doubt that exists.

I suspect I will need to play with the images in post instead.

Thanks again

Comment

Ok everyone,

This program seems to work pretty well and is free for basic use.

LRTimelapse - the best solution for time lapse editing, keyframing, grading and rendering. Supports Windows, Mac, RAW and JPG from any Camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X