EOS 7D overheating when shooting in video mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 7D overheating when shooting in video mode

Apologies for any repetition but I'm not sure if this issue has already been raised. Last night I was filming my son in a musical (amateur) presentation in a theater when suddenly (after about an hour of stop-start filming) a flashing icon appeared on the rear LCD screen. I had noticed that the camera was a little warm but had not realised it was quite so hot! I could only get rid of the icon by switching the camera off for 10-15 minutes.
    Is this common? Is it a fault? Can it be sorted out? Do I need to worry about the health of the camera?

Re: EOS 7D overheating when shooting in video mode

Found this from the Canon manual:

* If you continue to shoot movies for a prolonged period, the camera's internal temperature will increase. This can degrade the image quality. While not shooting, turn off the power.
    * If you shoot under direct sunlight or high-temperature conditions, the (high internal temperature warning) may appear on the screen. If you keep shooting a movie with the warning icon displayed, the image quality might degrade.
    * If the icon is displayed and you keep shooting movies until the camera's internal temperature increases further, the movie shooting will stop automatically.

There also appear to be a number of "complaints" regarding overheat icons coming on when video recording - normally for recording of 30 minutes duration. It also appear 5DMkII owners have made the same comment.
    Apparently. if you keep on recording with the warning icon visible, the camera will automatically shut down - I guess that's your good news - there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your 7D.
    The bad news is - you're going to be limited to around 30 minutes of recording at a time.
    Hope this helps
    jhdee

Comment

Firmware 1.2.1 says "1.Extends the timing at which the high temperature warning indicator is displayed and the timing of automatic shut down of the camera due to a rise in internal temperature during Live View or EOS Movie functions."

So that might improve matters ... unless you are at 1.2.1.

Comment

Thanks to jhdee and MX5 for your comments.
        Sadly I already have 1.2.1 installed.
        So the much hyped HD video is only so much use - I thought using a 16GB UDMA compact flash memory card would give me uninterruped video time... apparently not!

Comment

I have a 550d which also has movie recording facilities. I use the movie function only very rarely- mostly for the fun of it. For any prolonged filming I use my Camcorder and I have no such problems. Those members who care to read the Consumer Which? reviews on DSLR's , both the 7d and 550d have received good reviews and recommended as "best buys". However on the movie features in both these models,the recommendation is that Camcorders are far better for movies than the DSLR's.

I agree with the overheating comment made by other members. My 550d manual also says the same thing.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 21-07-2010, 09:51.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
          X