Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you REALLY need the latest and greatest .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you REALLY need the latest and greatest .

i really wonder if we really NEED the latest and greatest ,prices for cameras and lenses are through the roof if your retired and i look within my own household with 4 of us all doing wildlife with canon cameras we have a vast array of DSLR bodies from ancient to modern plus a even greater choice of lenses ,t.c's etc so trying each others gear out is the norm .
    however as all of us just post to the web and the industry standard for uploads i.e to flickr etc seems to be at 1024 pixels do we really need a lot of hyper expensive gear to get there .for instance i can't really see a great deal if any difference between my shots taken on a 10mp 1D3 and a sigma 150-600S lens and my sons taken on a 7Dmk2 and canon 500mm f4 mk2 .
    if i posted both results side by side with no i.d on them could you tell who's is who's ,the p/p is virtually the same as well so that eliminates that from the running .i write this as i nearly press the buy me on a new body yesterday then thought will i gain that much or indeed anything from buying it
    so what are others thoughts on this

Re: do you REALLY need the latest and greatest .

Some good points - I suppose many of us do enjoy having new camera toy to play with and if you have the money then there is no harm in that. But, if like me (and by the sounds of it you too), are on a limited sort of pension you have to think carefully about how to spend the cash.
    The way I cope with the dilemma is to say to my self if I but a lens or camera body am I going to get more out of it than if I spend the same amount of money going somewhere exciting I have not been before - that usually unscrambles my mind for me !
    James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

If you can justify it, of course. Well and afford it as well, that goes without saying.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Like many of us here, I am also retired with a pension and I have to be careful on what I spend my money on. With photography I will only buy if there is a need for it. For instance, since I sold my excellent Canon 300mm f4L IS USM lens on account of it's weight (for me)-I suffered a shoulder injury after carrying my kit on a overseas holiday- I thought I would manage with the lenses I had and also with various other combos. However, the results were not to my liking and have now bought the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6L lens for my wildlife & BIF shots. I have absolutely no regrets, although the lens is a bit heavier than the Tamron SP 70-300mm lens which I had for a short time. Hence it is "need" that would make me buy and this is the principle even for the latest and greatest.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Its a very interesting subject and one I've seen in the past when I was a member of a local camera club. One member was always buying the latest camera/lens. On a positive note it meant some of the other members got hardly used kit at bargain prices from him!

Its something I've been deliberating too as I'm looking to replace my 60D with something else. Initial reaction is the 7D2 but been wavering a bit when I see some of Jeffs work with the 1D3.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I can see where you're coming from Jeff, I do however print some of my images as well, so I save those as larger files. I am also planning on doing some short movies as well when I decide on what lens I wish to buy. The 1dx ii with it's touch screen would I'm sure be great to use, but the near £5k will be spent on some glass rather than a new body.
            Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
              I can see where you're coming from Jeff, I do however print some of my images as well, so I save those as larger files. I am also planning on doing some short movies as well when I decide on what lens I wish to buy. The 1dx ii with it's touch screen would I'm sure be great to use, but the near £5k will be spent on some glass rather than a new body.
              Good point. If I had £5k to spare I'd be looking for a used 600 f4L.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

seen quiet a few 1dx mk1 coming in at circa 2k ,i,m hoping once they release the mk2 it will tumble prices on the 1D4 s/h market

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                  Good point. If I had £5k to spare I'd be looking for a used 600 f4L.
                  I was thinking along these lines till a guy turned up at the local bird hide with a 500 f4l and whingeing about the weight of it, still fancy a 400 Do ii if I do go big prime, but I think I'm going to need a shorter lens if my wife pinches my 24-105 first.
                  Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

I'm happy to show my 400D and 50D photos alongside those from my current 5D3.....so I have to agree we don't need the latest kit. Buts its nice to have when it offers advantages that we are prepared to pay for.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

you work hard, or have so yes if you want to buy a new toy and you can afford it YES - you can't take it with you so enjoy it
                      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Doesn't apply to me...

Until a couple of weeks ago none of my cameras even manage to come from this decade* let alone be the latest and greatest - same goes for the lenses as well...

I don't really have a need for mad pixel counts, GPS, WiFi, video and most of the other gadgets, gizmos and complications that clutter up modern gear. About the only things bodywise that tempt me to part with the hard earned are tilting screens (I'm not so limber these days) and far better ISO performance (fat chance with the pixel obsession... ), beyond that I'd rather have better lenses though I think I do OK with what I have...

*I picked up a Panny G3 with 14-42 for a reasonable price - that just scrapes in with a launch date of 2011... Technically I suppose it has a mad pixel count (16mp on a 4/3rd sensor) but it does have a tilty screen and more ISO than any of my other bodies.
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Like anything in life, in you can then why not. I have been fortunate that of late I have been able to advance my camera and splash out on some nice glass. I am at a stage where I use 3 lenses that covers all of my current needs.
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Working...
                          X