80D so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80D so far

post this here as not everyone reads the nature photos thread ,my first impressions of the camera are extremely good ,there are a few tweaks over the 70d that although hard to define make it handle far better .
    pros.
    a/f seems quicker and more precise
    menu system is more professional
    slightly deeper grip feels better

cons
    being the latest camera from canon means the codex hasn't yet been upgraded/released so shots in raw will either need to be processed in DPP or you will need the latest version of lightroom CC .
    a second point against it in my book is it won't work with the sigma 150-600 and kenko HD T.C however it is working if i put on my 70-200 f.4 .however this is the same scenario as the 7d2 so i was expecting it .

thats it so far ,raw images display a minor amount of noise levels and certainly are very easily eradicated ,highlights and shadows are definitely better the best way to describe it is more nikon like files ,so far so good i will be testing further through the week but its looking good

getting there by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Re: 80D so far

Thanks for posting this. I find people's real world experience much more useful than some forensic review of the pixels

Comment

no problem ,the one thing thats looking really good on it (further testing needed) is the auto i.s.o looks like it works well ,but still early days ,i took a couple of test shots of the wife last night with dim lighting and no flash( two table lamps either end of the room) and they came out spot on at 6400iso using the big sigma 150-600 ,looked like they were taken in daylight

Comment

No Auto ISO on the 1D3 Jeff? What you're seeing on the 80D is what i see on the 7D2.

Can you do exposure comp in manual mode? That would be a real step up for me...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
          No Auto ISO on the 1D3 Jeff? What you're seeing on the 80D is what i see on the 7D2.

having used the 7D2 andy so far i,m finding better exposure latitude in the files but its really to early to say .

Comment

Looks like Canon has introduced some sort of chip to stop the Sigma /Kenko combining well. Does the Kenko TC work with the 80D plus the 70-200mm lens?
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

yes nat it does ,i have just tried it on the 400mm f5.6 L lens and it works fine on that as well with all focus points enabled . so it looks like it might be a case of two non canon lenses in use together and it won't i.d them .have yet to try the camera with a canon t.c and sigma lens ,also tried it on the canon 100-400mm mk2 lens and its extremely fast to a.f to .
              might be some lens re-shuffling needed later this year .
              to sum up so far
              sigma 150-600 sport + kenko HD not working
              canon 400mm f5.6 L + kenko HD works o.k all focus points enabled
              canon 70-200 f4 + kenko HD works o.k all focus points enabled
              there is also hardly any slow down of a/f when the t.c is in use

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                Manual mode by definition means you decide the exposure... If you need more exposure you open the aperture/increase the exposure time and vice-versa for less. Exposure compensation is only required where the camera is determining both the exposure required and at least one of the exposure control parameters (aperture/shutter and maybe ISO)...
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                  Manual mode by definition means you decide the exposure... If you need more exposure you open the aperture/increase the exposure time and vice-versa for less. Exposure compensation is only required where the camera is determining both the exposure required and at least one of the exposure control parameters (aperture/shutter and maybe ISO)...
                  Just what i was thinking Nigel, how could you possibly use +/- comp in manual mode?

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    a second point against it in my book is it won't work with the sigma 150-600 and kenko HD T.C however it is working if i put on my 70-200 f.4 .however this is the same scenario as the 7d2 so i was expecting it .
                    I presume you mean that it doesn't AF rather than something more dramatic? Sound a bit like the behaviour difference between the Pro-300 and MC7 versions of my 2x - on my 70-200L the Pro-300 won't AF but the MC7 does yet with the older 70-210 both allow AF.

Maybe Sigma will release a firmware upgrade for the 150-600 that dodges the issue, fingers crossed...
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hi , how do you feel it compares noise wise with the 7D and 7Dmk 2 ? To quote Dpreview regarding the 7DMK2 . " The Mark II is more evolutionary than revolutionary when it comes to image quality. Its 20.2 MP resolution sensor is a minor increase over the 7D, and not terribly noticeable on its own. It's certainly not a reason to upgrade from a 7D in and of itself " . I think their reviews are fairly good , so didn`t bother upgrading to the mk2 . Saying your still noticing noise at these early stages sounds like a similar situation , I think you will miss your full frame camera at some point , especially in low light . I am hoping for a cropped sensor body to come out , that really makes a leap of improvement regarding noise related issues .

Comment

So in my case, I tend to use manual mode most of the time with auto ISO. This allows me to decided I want to shoot at 1/320th and f8 and the camera flexes the ISO to allow me to get good exposure. If I shoot something white - swan or somesuch - I'll apply exposure compensation to reduce the exposure but allow the camera to still manage the ISO. That way I've set the shutter speed and aperture I want for the shot and the camera handles the rest. Or when I shoot gulls in flight I set 1/1000th, f8 and do the same thing.

The alternative would be to fix the ISO and adjust one of shutter speed/aperture which would reduce my number of well exposed shots or alternatively I'd miss too many shots because I was focused on getting the exposure right and not the target in the frame. I could use shutter priority but that would allow the camera to flex the aperture which I don't want.

See, there is method to my madness
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I presume you mean that it doesn't AF rather than something more dramatic? Sound a bit like the behaviour difference between the Pro-300 and MC7 versions of my 2x - on my 70-200L the Pro-300 won't AF but the MC7 does yet with the older 70-210 both allow AF.

Maybe Sigma will release a firmware upgrade for the 150-600 that dodges the issue, fingers crossed...
                          nope i meant exactly what i said ,a error message re -the lens comes up on the screen .exactly the same with that combo on the 7d2 .its not the camera or the t.c as it works fine in other configurations ,just won't work with those cameras and that lens .i will try tomoz with the lads canon t.c and see if that works .

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                            Hi , how do you feel it compares noise wise with the 7D and 7Dmk 2 ? To quote Dpreview regarding the 7DMK2 . " The Mark II is more evolutionary than revolutionary when it comes to image quality. Its 20.2 MP resolution sensor is a minor increase over the 7D, and not terribly noticeable on its own. It's certainly not a reason to upgrade from a 7D in and of itself " . I think their reviews are fairly good , so didn`t bother upgrading to the mk2 . Saying your still noticing noise at these early stages sounds like a similar situation , I think you will miss your full frame camera at some point , especially in low light . I am hoping for a cropped sensor body to come out , that really makes a leap of improvement regarding noise related issues .
                            having used and having access to a 7d and two 7d2 in the house ,i can state quite catergorically that the 80D is a vast improvement noise wise . any noise that there is will be cancelled out by a extra 18mp and a up to date in camera processor ,its definitely as fast as the 1D to focus .the only limiting factor is me i,m afraid . and please remember i,m only on day 1 and a bit i still have to gel with it so it falls to hand naturally ,i think i had a good afternoon today and will go through the shots later .

Comment

That comes ad no surprise Jeff. The controls are completely different aren't they...

Comment

Working...
                              X