AF configuration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF configuration question

I have a 5Dsr and I've configured two of the rear buttons for back-button-focus (BBF), if no-one else has done that (two vs. one, that is) I'd like to recommend it, if it's common then I have a bonus question - has anyone played about a lot with the tracking AF cases and have any views on what works well for what situations (especially if anyone's played with Arthur Morris' suggested custom case)?

My current AF Settings (subject to change, it's a work in progress, probably may will always be)...

(Note you change button functionality in the menus under "Custom Controls".)

Shutter half press = AE lock
    This is so you can lock the exposure on something then recompose, it's locked as long as the shutter is half-pressed.

Centre (well, a single one that's usually the centre) AF point selected (not as the pin-point one, just the normal one). This is basically just to show me where it is without putting much clutter in the viewfinder. It isn't possible to make use of it.

AF-On button: Metering and AF Start (although the metering is ultimately only controlled by the shutter button).
    AF Start position: SEL (this only counts if you register an AF point, which I haven't)
    AF servo characteristics (done by an AF Case, this is a Custom one with settings borrowed from Arthur Morris):
    - Tracking sensitivity: -
    - Accel/decel tracking: 2
    - AF pt auto switch: 2
    AF operation: AI servo
    AF area selection mode: All AF points

AF-On button: Metering and AF Start
    AF Start position: SEL
    AF servo characteristics (done by an AF Case, this is Case 2):
    - Tracking sensitivity: one above -
    - Accel/decel tracking: 0
    - AF pt auto switch: 0
    AF operation: AI servo
    AF area selection mode: Centre point plus eight helper points

So the AF-on button is handy for grabbing stuff that's hard to aim at (fast manoeuvring birds for example). The * button uses the centre point for when you want to aim at something exact (which is a lot of the time) and the helper points in case you miss a little. You just put your thumb on one of the AF buttons and move it sideways if you want the other AF mode.

Using AI-servo is great, as you get single and continuous AF without going anywhere near the menus. You just aim, press an AF button then release to lock the focus (Single AF) or hold it down to track (Continuous AF).

Re: AF configuration question

Whilst this article relates to the 5D3 it might be of interest.

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III has a very sophisticated and complex AF System. The possible combinations to tweak the AF properties are basically unlimited, so especially for beginners it can be hard to assess which configuration will yield the best results.

I currently have my 5D3 setup with shutter release to use centre point plus the 8 helpers round it and the BBF to use all the 61 points, the latter is really good at picking up subjects where the background isn't too cluttered. BIF against blue skies being a particularly good example.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
    X