EOS M3 - continuous focus or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS M3 - continuous focus or not?

I was surprised to find that the default setting for the M3 focusing is "Continuous focusing" which results in the lens whirring away repeatedly trying to focus as you walk along with the camera. The manual suggests that this gives the most rapid focusing response (which is good), but what effect does it have on the battery life?

Any advice/experience on this?
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: EOS M3 - continuous focus or not?

I turned it off within a day as I couldn't get on with it. I much prefer to focus when I need it by partly depressing the shutter button. I've set the M-Fn button to alternate between one shot and servo and its served me well so far. There's also touch focus by touching the screen where you want to focus as well which is useful.
    1D MkIV, 5D MkIII, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II ** R6, RF 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 ** M5, EF-M 11-22mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS, EF-M 22mm f/2.0, EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS **** Speedlite 580EX II, Speedlite 430EX III-RT, Speedlite 470EX-AI, ** FD 50mm f/1.2L, FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. ASPHERICAL, FD 50-300mm f/4.5L, FL-F 300mm f/5.6, FD 300mm f/2.8L.

Comment

When I had the original M the continuing focus drained the battery and was also an issue with low light focusing. I shut it off and never turned it on again & when I got the M3 the 1st thing I did was shut it off.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom & Sir Loin - I think it will be turned off!
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
        X