Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D ll memory

Hi,
    I have recently upgraded from a 50D to a 7D mkll and very pleased with the resuts, so far. However I was horrified to discover that in order to cope with increased performance it would be necessary to further invest in both expensive batteries and memory cards (lack of research on my part !!).

Can anyone tell me the minimum specification of both CF and SD cards that I could use for RAW wildlife images, bearing in mind that a burst of less than 10 images would be my norm ?

I have been using the SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s 8GB cards from the 50D which seem to work ok until a larger burst is required....I am also wanting to increase to 32GB
    I am also thinking of using the SD card to "backup" all RAW files so I suppose same spec CF and SD will be needed.
    Thanks
    John

Re: 7D ll memory

There's really a lot of things you're asking there. First off, a 10 shot burst should be well within the capacity of a 7D2 regardless of the card in the slot. You can see the number of shots available in a burst in the viewfinder - this is capacity before the camera starts to write to card - which I think will be over 10 shots regardless of card in use and using standard raw.

What you then want I presume is quick write to the card so you can take the next 10 shots?

I use a Kingson CF card which is rated 90MB/s write and a Sandisk SD Card which is rated a 80MB/s and only really notice the write to card time when I hit the 21 shot limit on the buffer. Anything less than that, I tend to shoot around the same number of shots as you suggest, and I don't tend to notice the write time.

Yes, you will need to match the SD and CF cards as the camera will write at the speed of the slowest card and the buffer won't clear until both cards have been written to.

This may be of interest - http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/can...rd-comparison/ - although there are some stats on that page I find a little hard to believe.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Not much to add, buy the fastest you can afford, not had an issue, also depends if you shoot raw only, or jpg only, or both... I get approx 25-30 shots on raw, and at 10fps... Well... Not hard to figure out lol... I haven't bothered using a SD card, just cf, they are pretty reasonably priced now. As for batteries, depends if you go for original or not, I have both and the non genuine work as well as the genuine,so you don't have to blow your budget. A 32gb SanDisk 120/mb cf is £25 delivered, and plenty fast enough, I've used budget cf cards and didn't really notice much difference, if any, it's not often I need to shoot off over 20 frames, even for sport/wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Was in the same position myself recently and decided that given the available info I'd spend few more quid and get what seemed to be optimal.

So got the Lexar 64GB 1066x CF (at the time were cheaper than the Sandisk) and Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SD.

Did quite a bit of reading and what was noticeable was there was considerable difference in read speed between some cards whereas write speed was much as stated.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I'd also say get a 64GB Lexar Professional 1066x CF card if £72 is within the budget.
          BTW I'd say get a CF card so the SD slot is free in case you want a W-E1 at some point (which adds WiFi remote control).

Comment

Lexar 64GB is currently £60 on Amazon.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Thanks all for your useful comments I think that the 64GB Lexar Professional 1066x CF card seems the preferred option for value but I will have to decide whether or not to buy an equivalent SD for backing up.

Comment

The Sandisk 64GB SD is £33 on Amazon. Normally I don't save to both but intend to for future trip to Yellowstone just as backup.

Comment

Working...
                X