weatherproof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weatherproof?

How weatherproof are the x0D series bodies? I have a 40D. Canon states as far as I know that these bodies are "weatherproof" What does that really mean, there are international standards for watch waterproof levels, what about camera bodies.

I tend not to take a chance, I would leave my camera in the bag rather than get it soaked, am I overcautious?

Discuss!!

Re: weatherproof?

As far as I am aware most DSLRs can tolerate very light drizzle; however, I would always err on the side of caution and leave my camera in the bag!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I wouldn't want to get it soaked, it can withstand a bit of drizzle as Nathaniel says, the other factor would be your lens.
      I'm thinking of a zoom were it extends gets wet, then you pull the water in that way.

I photographed a parade on Eastbourne seafront to mark the start of this year's feasitval, the rain was so heavy, it was like a tropical storm. I was out in it for 10 mins and the 40D survived it.

Trev

Comment

Trev's experience is very much my own.

I have been caught out in heavy showers with no ill effects. I have bought some Optech rain sleeves which I now keep with me when the weather looks like it's going to be raining and I do commonsense things like keep it under my jacket when I am not actually shooting.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
          I wouldn't want to get it soaked, it can withstand a bit of drizzle as Nathaniel says, the other factor would be your lens.
          I'm thinking of a zoom were it extends gets wet, then you pull the water in that way.

I photographed a parade on Eastbourne seafront to mark the start of this year's feasitval, the rain was so heavy, it was like a tropical storm. I was out in it for 10 mins and the 40D survived it.

Trev
          Thanks for your comments, I invested my dosh in the 17-40 f4 [L] lens, which should be weatherproof, it has a seal at the bayonet end, and a uv filter at the sharp end.

Comment

I invested my dosh in the 17-40 f4 [L]
            Great ! What area of photography interests you ?
            I'm guessing landscape, based on your new lens.
            I am looking forward to seeing some of your images, especially if they are taken in the Eastbourne area.

Trev

Comment

Hi Trev

Landscapes in particular the coast, old buildings and whatever catches my eye, an example, you will recognise, although not taken with the 17/40, which I only bought last week!

Regards

Comment

Classic Eastbourne View, taken from Seaford head I think.
                I have some shots from the other side of the Cuckmere looking at the cliffs from the beach.
                I’m not Eastbourne born and reared.
                I came from Ireland to the Uni of Brighton 12 years ago, got married to an Eastbourne girl and forgot to go home.
                I like taking photos in Pevensey, Westham and the coast too.
                Trev

Comment

Hi Trev
                  Correct, if you walk on the other side of the cuckmere valley on the higher footpath on a sunny day the view will not disappoint. I have attached an image taken this morning with the 14-70L the Devonshire Park theatre open day.

Cheers

Comment

--
                    Hi Trev

Landscapes in particular the coast, old buildings and whatever catches my eye, an example, you will recognise, although not taken with the 17/40, which I only bought last week!
                    --

A version of this landscape is included as a standard wallpaper in windows 7!

Comment

There Japanese standards for water proofed equipment, unfortunately neither Canon or Nikon will state if or at what level their cameras meet.

I would use a rain cover or plastic bag when shooting in haevy rain, but a very light shower should do it no harm.

I did get my 30D VERY wet in a downpour, and on getting home I notice the back LCD was flicking on and off and nothing worked at all, left it in the airing cupboard a week or so to dry out and it started working again, but with an intermittent problem with the rear LCD, but a couple of months keeping it dry and it works OK now.

I have now moved to a 1D, but will still use a rain cover from now on, just to be safe.

Comment

There are special raincovers voor camera's. I have read about it in a Dutch photomagazine. YOu can put on the camera and on both sides there is a hole in cover to put
                        your hands in it, so you can control the camera.
                        With kind regards,
                        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

There are covwers that you can buy to protect your camera and lens, the cheapest is http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...leeve/p1017072 as mentioned by Colin C, alternatively you can buy items such as the Canon Rain Cover http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS%20Co...raincover.html
                          hope this helps.

I know the website I have included are in the UK but I feel sure that there must be an equivalent in Holland if you query the name f the item

Comment

@ Muscat: Yes, like that.

This is the one, I mentioned: http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/produ...ncover_xl.html click on picture to enlarge.

Or a cheaper model: http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/produ...incover_l.html
                            With kind regards,
                            Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Hi Macabee,
                              I walk past the Devonshire nearly every day, I like your perspective on it.
                              One of the things I love about Eastbourne is that it usually records the longest hours of sunshine in the UK, if it's not No1 it's in the top 3 places. With that in mind a M&S plastic bag will usually do the trick, or tuck in under your coat as Colin says

Trev

Comment

Working...
                              X