Straight position camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straight position camera

I would agree that it is a very good idea to have any sensitive equipment serviced that show signs of having sand / dust from deserts inside of them
    I'd go along with that, regardless of whether the sand /dust is from some far flung part of the world, or the beach at Camber Sands.

The other important thing is if your lens(es) is/are dusty, then just having the body clean/serviced wont be enough.
    You could spend £30 to have a body cleaned just to possibly re-introduce the dust via the lens ?

Trev
    Last edited by Trevoreast; 02-10-2010, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
      I would agree that it is a very good idea to have any sensitive equipment serviced that show signs of having sand / dust from deserts inside of them, the dust we get in the UK and most of the Northern part sor Europe tend to be softish and may be a complete pain in spoiling a picture but the dust that you pick up in those extreme conditions of Africa and the ME are a completely different.

I have seen severe damage to equipment whilst living in the ME, I actually got caught in a bad 'dust' storm once where it nearly stripped the paint of the car and have had cameras, binoculars etc. ruined by this fine talcum powder type dust.

Fr1so is having his camera cleaned which is great but as Nathaniel says to try and protect the equipment change the lens as little as possible and if you are not using the camera I suggest that you keep it and the lenses in zip-lock plastic bags to keep as much of the contaminants out of them. Overkill maybe but a box of zip-lock bags costs ~£1.50 a basic clean of a camera is ~£30 as a minimum.
      I changed the lens at home, before that I did not see a thing of dust on the viewer. After changing the lens, Id did see snad/dust while I was looking through the viewer. I think while I was chaging the lens, a little bit of sand/dust is dropped down on the mirror/sensor .. First I thought the lens is dirty, but they are clean.
      With kind regards,
      Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
        I'd go along with that, regardless of whether the sand /dust is from some far flung part of the world, or the beach at Camber Sands.

The other important thing is if your lens(es) is/are dusty, then just having the body clean/serviced wont be enough.
        You could spend £30 to have a body cleaned just to possibly re-introduce the dust via the lens ?

Trev
        I prefer to spend some money for it, then doing it myself ... and I scratch someting.
        With kind regards,
        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

Comment

Friso, I am really sorry to hear about all the dust inside your camera via the Sahara dessert. Cameras are sensitive & delicate instruments and needs a lot of protection in Africa and other third world countries. The photo opportunities are fabulous in these countries but there is also an element of risk. When I visit these countries, now on holidays, I have my two camera bodies suitably kitted with the lenses I think I will need. Any change of lens is done in the hotel holding the camera face downwards. Maybe a lot of overkill and kids glove protection but I don't earn a living by photography and I think IMO it is not worth the repair bills if one can get away with two camera bodies. Cheaper than repair bills when you can pick up a good second hand body on Ebay between £150-£200.

I keep the rear of the lens spotlessly clean and this is more or less accepted when you don't have to change lenses too often. When I remove a lens I immediately put the rear cap on- first making sure that the inside of the cap is clean- a blower brush will remove any dust particles.

Yes it is quite sensible to get the cleaning of the sensors done by "experts" when you feel that you are not competent enough. I have good contacts with HH Lehemann Bros in Stoke on trent, authorised Canon repairers and I'd run to them if I had any problem.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 04-10-2010, 16:10.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I think there was a little sand between the attachemend camera/lens, what fell in. I also place all the caps on while changing lens. We will see on Thursday. In Holland is this company well recommended.
            With kind regards,
            Friso

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
              I think there was a little sand between the attachemend camera/lens, what fell in. I also place all the caps on while changing lens. We will see on Thursday. In Holland is this company well recommended.
              You should be able to find a canon camera repair shop in Holland- if you look up the Canon web site. They are quite reliable as they are supported by Canon Ltd
              I believe in the old saying "Penny wise and Pound/Euro foolish"!!!
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 05-10-2010, 14:47.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
              X