Sensor problem or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensor problem or what?

After owning Canon DSLRs for almost ten years, I am having my first problem. Everything worked fine until today. Opened some raw files taken yesterday into the new version of DPP to check out the changes. I noticed a long thin line running all the way across the bottom of all of the images in DPP. At first, I thought it was a bug within DPP. So, I opened the same files up in ACR and the line was gone! But, there was a small black dot visible at the bottom in the area where the line was in DPP. I took the camera (40D) out and took several more shots this morning with the same spot appearing in all images. I cleaned the sensor twice. I changed lenses. I changed flash cards. I shot in jpeg also. All with no change. Below is an example. I know the image is underexposed, this has no effect on the presence of the spot. It appears to be larger than a single pixel.

Anyone seen something like this before?

Re: Sensor problem or what?

They are dead pixels... or dead sub-pixels...

As I understand it; the cause is a lack of power to the affected area...

I 'think' this is a job for Canon. I don't 'think' you can treat these in the same way as you can a 'hot-pixel'...

Either that, or it's a clone job on every image!!!

Anybody else have ideas???
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

The initial problem was the same as my wife's Powershot SX 200is, the thin white line on all images, except her white line was vertical and right in the centre.
      The solution was camera back to Canon in Elstree.
      The problem was dead pixels on the sensor.

David
      David

Comment

Or it is dust, then you have to clean it.
        With kind regards,
        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Working...
        X