Ideal kit set-up for event street photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal kit set-up for event street photography

I'd be interested in hearing others views on this, as (like most aspects of photography) there is no real holy grail , consequently it's often a series of compromises to arrive on a 'best fit'.

I enjoy, and have shot numerous street photography events, particularly the Whitby Goth Weekend, War Weekends around Yorkshire and street entertainers, and after a lot of trial and error, these are the bits of kit that I take that suit my style of shooting.

I have gone through a full circle, taking 2 bodies, a few lenses, including 'just in case' lenses (usually a very wide angle), two flashguns, and once even a tripod, down to taking one body and one lens.

I've finally whittled it down to one body (usually a FF), and two lenses, 85mm and 50mm and one flashgun.

I find I use the 85mm for most of my shots, it's great for head & shoulder shots and if you step back , full body shots, while the 50mm is for group shots. Both are fast primes, therefore are good at kicking the background out of focus, which is important on these occasions, as there are usually crowds, therefore inevitably fussy backgrounds.

I used to carry a 135mm around, but realised it was perhaps a bit long, keeping you too distant from your subject, and when there are 20 other togs around competing for the subjects attention, I feel you do need to be close enough to communicate with the subject(s)

I gave up on wide-angle lenses, there is just too much going on around the subjects to get a meaningful result.

I'm aware that zooms are much more convenient, and if I was using a 1.6 crop body, a 24-70mm F2.8 would be ideal, on a FF it's a bit more difficult, 24-70 is probably not quite long enough, 24-105 F4L is not fast enough, 70-200 F2.8 is good, but comes at a weight price.

So I'm probably happiest with a couple of primes.

I take one flash gun, with a diffuser attached, mounted on camera, and used for fill flash if the light is very bright.

And one lightweight rucksack, consequently, it's easy to carry around, which is important, with lots of the activity at different places.

If I was limited to one body and one lens, on a FF body it would be a fast 85mm, and on a crop body a fast 50mm lens.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Ideal kit set-up for event street photography

I recognise where you are coming from with this Les.

I do some events wher in the dim and distant past I have my full range of bodies, lenses, tripods, beanbags and probably the kitchen sink as well. I wasted so much time making sure the perfect lens for the job was fitted to the body and should I use a tripod or handheld and lots of other damn fool questions.

Invariable I now use one body, one lens and perhaps a flashgun in my pocket, just in case. For candids and general street photography it would be a 1.3 crop body with a 70 - 200mm f2.8. For motorsport and aircraft, the same body with a 300mm f2.8. It works very well and although it may not be perfect, I can use my experience to make up for any deficiencies.

For wildlife, which is my main interest, it is two bodies, two lenses and a couple of converters in my pocket.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Les,
      Great information all at the expense of your trials, errors and lugging around unwanted lenses.

Thanks for posting this.

David
      David

Comment

Good topic Les
        I think "less is best" , if I take two bodies, I take just two lenses attached to the cameras, if I have "talked myself" into taking an extra lens, I would plan on just one lens change.

I have come to think of taking a bag of lenses to events as an indicator of lack of planning or forethought, rather than dedication. Obviously I'm only talking about myself and what works for me, if people want a bag of lenses that's OK too.

What do you guys think?

Trev

Comment

I take candids so I use either the 135 f2 or the 200 f2.8 on the 5d - i do my best to make myself invisible to the subject.

I prefer portraits with the 135 as it avoids the 'big nose' effect.

The 200 is best for full length photos
          ef-r

Comment

Working...
          X