Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like a G12, found this seller... what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like a G12, found this seller... what do you think?

I know it's likely to be an import from the states or something, but if it's the same camera....

What do you guys think? bargain? worth it?

Re: I would like a G12, found this seller... what do you think?

They seem reputable and I haven't heard anything against them, but equally, I don't know anyone that has used them.

Little clauses like this concern me:

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab... Read moreabout the condition"

Many lenses and bodies are repacked in a white box if the original box is damaged, or if the lens was used as demo stock and for a whole host of reasons, to indicate that although new, it may not be pristine, in the sense that it is the original box and has been unopened since it left the factory. Some lenses are white boxed because they are kit lenses and the retailer can make more money, or reduce the cost if the kit is broken and the body and lens sold separately.

If it were me, I would pay £25 extra and use Kerso. Genuinely imported from the USA with all customs and VAT paid and in original boxes. This is the link to his store and he has one in stock:

Failing that, Amazon have it for £370 and your local John Lewis at £379.

Good luck.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Like Colin; I've never heard of these guys... and I don't think I've ever seen an eBay seller with >135000 feedbacks either!!!!! Their negative feedback rate is minimal; just 0.002% in 12m... You can't please all the people all the time! 33000 positive is a strong indicator!

Goods are advertised as already being in the UK. I'd be tempted by this. Why don't you just send them a message asking for clarification on the condition & packaging? It won't hurt to do so...

Cheers...
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
        Goods are advertised as already being in the UK. I'd be tempted by this. Why don't you just send them a message asking for clarification on the condition & packaging? It won't hurt to do so...
        Very good advice CF ................... sometimes I miss the obvious.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Thanks for responses guys. LOL Colin you have a good point. Amazon are doing them for similar money.
          I guess the reason i started looking at 2nd hand ones on ebay was I was originally thinking about getting a 9/10 as a walkabout camera when I can't be bothered to lug my bodies and lenses about.

Then I kinda started pushing the boat out a bit. :-D

Although I looked on the warehouse express website, and they used to be far cheaper than anybody else... not the case. The G12 is £480 on their website!

Comment

Originally posted by monobrow View Post
            Then I kinda started pushing the boat out a bit.
            As we do!

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Although I looked on the warehouse express website, and they used to be far cheaper than anybody else... not the case. The G12 is £480 on their website!
              It's been many moons since Warehouse Express were 'competetive' on price... But they are still an excellent vendor and I would NEVER hesitate to buy from them... if the price was right
              Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Amazon are doing them for similar money.
                There's no greater guaranty in buying through Amazon today than there is through eBay! Most of these retailers are indepednant third-parties that have 'shop-windows' either on eBay or Amazon. I can't remember the last time anything I ordered via Amazon was actually sold by Amazon, outside of the odd book or two, and even those come from many sources these days!

Comment

I recently purchased an Olympus e-p1 plus 14-42 lens from these guys. Overall an excellent services at an excellent price. The camera is a USA model. (Mains plug being replaced with our 3 pin plug) You should be aware they sell both new and refurbished items and this is clearly stated in the auction.
                  I normally purchase my Canon gear from David Leung but the Olympus was cheap and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Quite frankly, I'm disappoined with the PQ being outdone by my Canon G11. (IMHO)

Comment

The text about "New" looks like copperplate to me, plus the price isn't totally out of order. I do agree it will probably be an import, although when I got my G7 (from Amazon, as it happens, never again for cameras) the US ones came with full and express printed manuals and the UK ones (i.e. mine) with the express manual printed (all the stuff you'd only read once) and the full manual (on how to do the obscure stuff) on CD so you could print it on several hundred pages of A4 and carry it with you... :-(

If the E-P1 is losing out to a G11, despite the EP-1 having pixels 7x the size that would suggest there is perhaps something wrong with the E-P1?
                    DXO give the G11 a sensor DXOmark of 46.6 vs. 55 for the EP-1 (but 79 for my Canon DSLR :-), which is a big difference, also the DxOMark Sensor Low-Light ISO scores are 536 for the EP1 versus 165 for the G11.

Disclosure - I own a G7 and a GF-1, but neither of those. I chose Micro 4/3 over a G11 for the better sensor, which I think it does have, despite the size increase, see here:

and scroll down to the shot at a mall table.

I'm not trying to knock the G11/G12, they are excellent pocketable cameras with nice zoom lenses. The GF1-2 and EPxx cameras aren't quite as pocketable, even with a pancake lens attached (but f1.7 for the 40mm tho) but as always with extra size and price offer, IMHO, better photographic quality - then again carrying a 550D/60D/etc. will improve it further, everything is a trade-off.

I suspect the G12 price will continue to creep down unless it's made in Japan, where the strong yen may slow the decrease. Anything under 350 is pretty good though.

John
                    Last edited by DrJon; 13-11-2010, 17:00.

Comment

I have used these people when I purchased a 580ex.
                      I found no problems at all and gave them poistive feedback.
                      Hope this helps

Ian

Comment

Used these guys a couple of times, 450D Battery grip and a couple of spare batteries, Both times parts arrived quickly and in full working order...well at the moment anyway!...The parts i ordered came from the Uk......HTH

Comment

Why not gather up all the different prices from all the different sources, choose the least expensive and then approach some of the more reputable vendors to see if they will price match?

Comment

Why not gather up all the different prices from all the different sources, choose the least expensive and then approach some of the more reputable vendors to see if they will price match?
                            I don't think "more reputable vendors" will "price match" grey import prices, might be worth a try though.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                            X