7D focussing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D focussing question

At last yesterday I got a chance to try the beast out. I was a little dissapointed with the results. The AF on my 50D was a revelation compared with my P****x and I was expecting the 7D to be even better. Not the case. Below is an example, the AF seems to lock onto anything except what I wanted.

There is a strong possibility that this is opperator error, but I cannot find out why.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Re: 7D focussing question

Were you using Servo or one shot?
    ef-r

Comment

That was AI servo in full auto selection.

Actually looking at that picture I would take a guess that the bird moved in the time taken between focussing and taking the picture. As such it's not a great example. On other pictures, the focus has locked onto the wrong thing completely.
      Cheers

Oggie

Comment

I mainly use single point af when shooting BIF,

Here's a good article (I think it was someone on this forum who first mentioned it ?)

Gives some good info for setting up your 7D for bird shooting

rainforest photography, rain forest photography, tropical nature photography, Costa Rica photography, Costa Rica photos, nature photo tours, Costa Rica photo tours, nature photography tours, nature photography workshops, nature photography blog
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I agree with LesMclean use single point af, for shots of this kind much easier for the camera to "lock on".

Ray

Comment

The point of the 7D system is you can use a small cluster so that if the object moves off the selected point the assist points will track it. If you're just using auto selection it doesn't necessarily know what it's looking for especially if the something is moving so may pick the wrong spot or just loose it altogether (which appears to be the case on your image). Also, are you focusing of the shutter or the AF-on button? Better to use the latter.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

The 7D focusing system is very comprehensive. As Woolley eludes to you can set assist points to supplement the focus points. But you can also set tracking sensitivity speed. Given that a particular combination will only suit a particular subject area it's handy to program these into C1/C2/C3. That way you should have the everyday settings available in Av/Tv in case you need to grab a shot at short notice.

I've read a lot of chatter about focusing issues (along the lines of the 1D3) with the 7D ... so my approach would be to take your time to understand what each option does and how several options interact. There's stuff from Canon at the CPN or DLC sites.

Your BIF shot looks like focus had locked on just prior to the photo being recorded.
              Last edited by George Bear; 14-12-2010, 08:07.

Comment

You'll seldom get sharp wildlife, sport, aircraft, or action shots with the camera set to "shotgun" (another name for automatic focus). The 7D is a precision instrument and you need to take control to get the best out of it.
                • You need single point centre focus.
                • You need to lock on to the subject.
                • You need A1 servo tracking.
                • You need to keep the tracking locked on.
                • You need to develop your panning skills.
                • You need to keep panning after you take the shot - more important than you realise.
                • You need high shutter speeds (mostly).
                • You need to relax, enjoy the 7D and learn it's capabilities.
                I know so many people whose photography has improved considerably since changing to the 7D, but because they knew people who had improved, they subconsciously expected the same ................. and didn't get it straight out of the box. It does take a little time until it works for you, but the results are well worth it.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Hi Oggie,

Simple question - Have you de-tuned the AF Drive? If not, go to C.FnIII 1 AF/Drive AI Servo Tracking sensitivity - Move the cursor to either the middle slow or slow setting (I use middle slow for my air show stuff etc). This should cure problems with soft focus of moving objects.

TTFN,
                  Neil
                  Neilly's Flickr Page
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                  Facebook
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I set the camera up as suggested and detuned the AF by one click and set off to have another go. 400mm, F7.1 1/1600 ISO400.

This was the best of the bunch. Still dissapointing.
                    Cheers

Oggie

Comment

Oggie ... try mounting the 7D (well the 100-400 actually) on a tripod and using a cable release and mirror locked up and IS OFF take a photo of a static car at about the same distance as the BIF. This will give an indication that the AF is okay. I use a car because of its registration plate (and other writing) being geometric. That's one of my basic tests when I get a new camera (or indeed a new car ;-)). Next try a car moving towards you.

Other may have other ideas.

Comment

When I first got my 7D as an upgrade from my 50D I was disappointed with focusing. Like you I was struggling with birds in flight in particular and began to wonder if I had a problem with my 300F4LIS. I sent some pics off the Lehmans showing my problems + the lens and asked them to check it out. Almost by return they told me it was a problem with the AF on the body, not the len, so I sent them that as well. They were right, it was adjusted and recalibrated under warranty and I haven't had a focus problem since.

So - if after all your checks you are still unhappy with the results - get in touch with Canon, Lehmans or whoever your prefered canon agent is - you may find that solves your problem too

Good luck, Brian
                        My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

I have tried the tests MX5 suggested and the results were not particularly sharp.

I looked back through pictures taken with the 100-400 on my 50D and they were mostly sharp.

I then tried the 15-85 on the 7D. I have only just got this lens so I do not know how it performs, but the results were disappointing. There was some evidence of back focus but not consistently.

I think the body is going to have to go back.
                          Last edited by Oggie; 15-12-2010, 15:04.
                          Cheers

Oggie

Comment

I think the body is going to have to go back.
                            Sad to agree, but the evidence points that way.

The 7D is a top performer in locking on, tracking a subject and giving sharp results. Obviously yours isn't, so back for an exchange.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

As an owner of the 7d, I am getting concerned with the problems of faulty focusing problems there was another thread recently where someone had to have their 7d repaced, is this a QC problem with this model? or is there always a high % of failure rates it is not a cheap peice of kit, How do I know my model is functioning at optimum performance.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X