EOS 40D problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EOS 40D problem

The problem sounds very similar to what happened with my 40D in October. I sent it to Elstree, who immediately forwarded it to Colchester (Elstree apparently had a lot of work on at the time). Turnaround was pretty quick. They sorted the problem and serviced and cleaned it for £177. More details under "Dead 30D" thread below, if you're interested.
    Hope you get it sorted. (I still haven't quite forgiven mine for dying right at the start of the best mushroom season I've ever known!)

Comment

The full hard reset and new date and time battery did not work I'm afraid. I'll send to Lehmanns tomorrow and let you know the diagnosis. Many thanks for all the suggestions/tips.

Comment

Lehmanns diagnosed the problem: shutter failure. It cost me GBP 165 for the repair. Thanks to all who posted suggestions and help.

Comment

Must be the season for 40D failures. I believe my one has suffered a similar fate. I think my failure is the mirror box and doing research, it seems to be common failure on the 40D. Only 21,444 actuations....rubbish, it should be good for over 100,000 actuations. The shutter operates, but the mirrors don't lift.
          I was going to put my camera into my local Canon authorised repair centre in Glasgow. Anyone have any experience of this company http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/ ??
          Sandy

Comment

Hi Sandy

No direct knowledge of them, but I have heard good reports of them, although not sure from where. I have just checked their site and they are Canon approved, with factory trained engineers, so everything looks very encouraging.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin,
              I think I'll give them a try, easier than sending the camera off. I spoke to them and asked if they had repaired any 40D's and was told they had repaired thousands!! re-assuring in one way, but depressing as well! To be fair, this is the first failure I've had since my EOS 5 suffered the dial problem, but I fixed that myself. I had a look at the repair manual for the 40D and the repair is too fiddly for my big fat fingers. I now know what the aproximate cost should be.

Comment

Working...
              X