X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Canon EOS 60D camera

Hello
    My first DSLR Canon 60D review

When I first was interested in a new DSLR I looked online for a few weeks I just couldn’t believe all the reviews on the different cameras like Canon or Nikon and Sony I got lost in all the review reading with features and the Pro and Con’s it was a real nightmare to begin with, So I gave up on reading camera reviews and went out to search the shops myself.

Before you buy
    When you buy your first DSLR camera only get the body then choice the lens you want or just get the kit lens with the camera for now and please don't read all the Sony-A580 vs Canon 60D, or Nikon 7000D vs Canon 7D, every camera have different companies and have different features then the other and this may confuse you more, on what camera to buy everyone have their own opinion on what they like and dislike on a camera but in the end it's just your choice on what camera is best for you and within your price range and don't read the experts or sale reviews they don't always get it right, most of the sale person in shops will always push you to buy the camera they most want you to buy so they can get in their promotion from the company.

Canon shop
    When I enter the Canon shop here in China I was looking for DSLR mid-range camera so I looked at the EOS 60D, been the new mid-range camera of 2010 that was in my budget range. The price for the 60D was a little high at first but after talk to the shop they cut the price down then I bought it.

When taking the 60D out of the box for the first time and undraping it from the bubble wrap it had a nice rubbery grip that feels absolutely great in the hand and a wide body design with nice weight to it I also liked the top LCD, the lens I choice was a EF-S 18-55mm IS kit lens for now; Then they unwrap the lens and added it to the body with the battery and turn it on, I liked the viewfinder size for my eye and the layout of buttons on the camera with the multi-dial wheel but the best part was the 3.2’ articulated screen for me. (Thank you Canon)

The service was good I was showed how to add the lens to the body I also got cleaning cloth for free and I paid 7,393RMB that’s (£722.35) with 18-55mm IS with 8 GB SDHC (4) and small bag, before I left the Shop they got a taxi for me (I paid the taxi not free)

The features I like in Mid-Range Canon 60D:
    Larger buffer
    Thumb dial wheel
    Electronic level 7D
    AF -start button 7D
    18 MP APS-C sensor
    Higher shooting speed
    Better autofocus system
    Flash controllers build in
    Prism viewfinder 96% coverage.
    RAW image processing build in
    Rubber Mode dial with dial lock
    9-point a cross Autofocus system
    Top LCD with single buttons 7D & 5D
    ISO 100-6400 and expandable to 12,800.
    iFCL Metering with 63-zone Dual-layer Sensor
    DIGIC 4 processor deliver 14-bit image processing.
    HD movie at 1920x1280 30fps 25fps PAL and 720p at 60fps
    Articulated screen (3.0") 3:2 ratio LCD (1.04-million-dot resolution)
    Higher-capacity battery (basically tells you how much usable life the battery has) 7D & 5D
    Super modern polycarbonate solid body (better than metal) this way the paint will not flake off and it will not be heavy around your neck.

The only regret I had was I shouldn’t have read all the hate and unjustified on this new 60D Canon camera and saying it was all plastic (Not true) many of these camera reviews is that they only have the camera for a day and many are Nikon lovers. So don’t waste your time with online reviews like me, you will not regret buying the Canon 60D camera for the price, it should cost more and having some of the best features of the 7D & 5D.

The EOS 60D book
    The camera book come's with a 323 page book yes thats allot of reading you may ask in a little book, but there is a better way you can download the 60D video tutorials that can help you get started and download the pdf manual of the camera. On Canon website, it's much better to read the manual on a computer screen than reading that little book that way you can be holding the camera and learning at the same time.

Articulated screen
    One good thing about the articulated screen is that you can turn it over and close it when not in use you will never worry about finger prints or getting scratches on it, and it stay's clean I also found it's better then you use the video mode and taking live mode shots, as I am still learning most of the time I don't open the screen, because I change some setting on the top LCD in manual control and it save the battery power.

The 60D HD video
    Looks nice to me I like all in one cameras but it will never replace the camcorders just yet, but most camcorders articulated screen is only 920 pixels resolution but my 60D have over one million pixels resolution making it clear, it's say's on some reviews the battery will over heat when recording at 10 mins but I never found any of this problem. and I don't think I will hold my camera for over 29 mins before the camera shut down when recording, to me anything over 5-8 mins on a holiday video in one place is just boring to me.

The Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS lens,
    I started to look at the Canon zoom lens and the range that I would use,, I look at the 18-135mm IS lens it had a nice mid-range zoom, it's features is a metal ring mount, front lens do not rotate, 7.5x zoom, 1x UD elements and 1x Asphencal elements and built quality was better too. I must say this lens looked much nicer on the 60D camera, and with a nice weight to it within my hand, it have a longer zoom range than a budget 18-55mm kit lens did. so I made up my mind and bought it at a discount price, I should have got it in the first place with the camera, and now I will never take it off a good walk about lens for me for now.

When I see this lens online it had many bad reviews about the IQ at first that put me off buying it as a kit lens for the Canon 60D, so I took a chance and it turn out that the reviews was wrong I took some pictures outside and indoors with the lens and the pictures to me looked very sharp and clear to me, (IMO)

Lenses
    You can also buy a 17-85 EF-S IS USM lens or an 'L' lens, the 'L' means "Luxury" also it means "Low Dispersion" in lens About L lenses, Canon says "these lenses use special optical technologies [such as] Ultra-low Dispersion UD glass, Super Low Dispersion glass, Fluorite elements, and Aspherical elements to truly push the optical envelope, The IQ, "Image quality" are amazing pictures, much better than any budget lenses but the differents between budget & 'L' is the 'Cost'.

Before you get confuse about the 'special optical technologies' in lens just start with one of the Canon buget lenses or kit lens for now you can still take nice pictures and get good 'IQ' from them, it all depends on what is right for you and pictures you will be taking.

Filters
    You can buy any clear Filter for your lens 'Kenko and Hoya' are owned by the same company in Japan, or you can buy Canon Why you may ask do I need a filter!. UV filters are used to reduce haziness created by ultraviolet light also UV filters are often used for lens protection from dust and if the lens is dropped, the filter may well suffer scratches or breakage instead of the front lens element.

SDHC cards
    There are many brand names on SDHC cards out there, if you want to do video with the 60D . You could get the Transcend 16GB class 10 card it can take 44mins of video and Raw 546 or 999 Jpeg pictures at 18MP. if you like get a 8GB class 6. The (class numbers) mean the write speed of the card, video & pictures is best at (class 10). good at (class 6) and (class 4) is good for pictures but not for video.

Canon EW-73B lens Hood.
    The EW-73B hood is for the 18-135mm lens, Well, you are not required to use one, but if there are some very good reasons to do so. The primary use for a lens hood is to prevent light from hitting the front lens element from the sides - reducing contrast and creating flare. Pictures taken with a lens hood installed will generally have richer colours, deeper saturation.

The Canon 60D won a AP Award Winners 2011.

The Canon 60D won Awards 2010 - Best mid range DSLR

My Canon EOS 60D is not a fake at the bottom of my camera reads "Made in Japan" with the serial number the same on the side of the box, and My EF-S 18-55mm IS is "Made in Taiwan" with serial number on a canon card, only my battery is made in China. All the DSLR Canon cameras are made in Japan and put on sale all over the world.

Thank you.

Now I will add some pictures that I took with my Canon 60D with it's 18-135 lens at Chinese new year 2011, This is my first time at night pictures. I took the picture in Raw and copy them to Jpeg. if you click on the image you can look at all the pictures I have taking.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Michael.K; 06-03-2011, 12:21.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Re: My first Canon EOS 60D camera

CanonEOS, that's how a review should be - from the heart, your experience and how you feel about it.

I might have held out for the taxi fare though.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Hi There,

I have to agree with Colin, that was a really interesting read.

I hope you enjoy the Camera.

Paul

Comment

Hello & welcome,

Yes a good account of the Chinese sales manship.
        I must admit thought i thought you was going to say it was a Chinese fake / counterfit version of a EOS 60 D.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
        Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
        Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Hi F.S.P

In China high street shops don't sale fakes. Only the 'markets' are fake and sometimes counterfit and the Chinese know that, And talk about made in China most things sold in UK,USA,and other countries have the lable "Made in China" because people like to pay cheaper so don't complain. that why in the US many lost their jobs because people want to pay cheaper.

Most if not all people complain about China but they have never been here or even lived here.

I have just updated my thread please read.
          Last edited by Michael.K; 08-01-2011, 05:20.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum and thank you for the great review

Originally posted by CanonEOS View Post
            In China high street shops don't sale fakes. Only the 'markets' are fake and sometimes counterfit and the Chinese know that

Most if not all people complain about China but they have never been here or even lived here.
            Over the past 5 years I have visited China several times each year on business and must say that I enjoy these visits, I have considered buying some items in China but have each time not as my local Chinese contacts have advised that although the items are genuine, as you say, I may well have problems with waranty and support outside of China.

I have however purchased many items of clothing etc which have been fabulous value and quality. A visit to the Silk Market in Beijing is an experience for most westerners

Comment

Hi Muscat

In my city I have a large shopping mail called "Future Mall" it's owned by one of HK business groups, The Canon Shop is in the mail, with Sony and others brands, it's like "Leicester Granby Halls UK" but in Granby Halls only have 2 floors but future mail have 7 floors, I know the Beijing Silk Market very well, it's all known to westerners who visit or live in China with many brand names been copied but not all.

Like I said I can buy a Canon filter for 100rmb in high street and in the makets maybe cheaper but in Future mail it cost 210RMB. And yes the "waranty" you might have problems with it's where you buy from that matters.

Comment

Hi...Interesting your coments on the 60d body.
                I total agree a full metal jacket is not needed.The poly on alloy chassis is way stronger and lighter than is needed for a mid range camera and for me light weight and compact sizes along with the vari angle high res screen make this Camera outstanding.

Comment

I may be wrong but I think I have seen this vari angle sort of LCD screen on the old Nikon Coolpix 5000 & similar. Perhaps Canon is following the Nikon route with this screen- apologies to Canon
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 29-01-2011, 10:57.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

stormbringer

If you was to get the Canon 60D get the 18-135mm kit lens you will not be sorry, don't fall for the trap like I did over the reviews,

The 18-55 and 55-250 is nice on a budget and if this is in your zoom range get it, I don't like to change lens, You might ask why buy a DSLR! well I buy it so I can have a choice of any lens that I want to buy.

Nathaniel
                    Sorry mate I change my mind when I see the 18-135mm in my hand much bigger than the 55-250mm yes it cost more but the built quality was better for me and it look nice on my 60D camera than a 55-250 did in my Opinion.

I have just updated my post
                    Last edited by Michael.K; 02-02-2011, 13:25.

Comment

Hi CanonEos
                      Despite some unkind reviews of the ESO 60D and an efs lens, you bought them, and you are happy with your camera and lens.

Thanks for sharing.

Trev

Comment

Hi Trevoreast

Thank you.

I made this post to share my 'Opinions' and my experience to everyone who might want to buy the 60D and it EFS lens.

I have just update my post with some pictures I took in Chinese new year.
                        Last edited by Michael.K; 02-02-2011, 14:14.

Comment

I have the 17-85 EF-S IS USM but will get an L Zoom lens ( F 2.8) at some point when money allows

Comment

This Post is not a "Debate" over lens it's a post on my 60D review.

I hope everyone like my Chinese new year pictures, I will add more later and when the summer comes I will add more pictures and update this post.

Comment

"Quote"
                              If you was to get the Canon 60D get the 18-135mm kit lens you will not be sorry, don't fall for the trap like I did over the reviews,

The 18-55 and 55-250 is nice on a budget and if this is in your zoom range get it, I don't like to change lens, You might ask why buy a DSLR! well I buy it so I can have a choice of any lens that I want to buy.

Nathaniel
                              Sorry mate I change my mind when I see the 18-135mm in my hand much bigger than the 55-250mm yes it cost more but the built quality was better for me and it look nice on my 60D camera than a 55-250 did in my Opinion.

I know its not a debate ,I was letting you know in answer to your advice on which lens to buy that I have allready bought a lens ,and the lens I will buy.
                              If you enter a forum you are free to reply as you see fit within the ruels of the Forum.
                              There is no need to be rude.
                              Last edited by stormbringer; 03-02-2011, 14:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X