downgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

downgrade?

Here's a dilema, I've always fancied an EOS 5D, the original one. I currently own an EOS 50D which is a very good camera. I only have 2 efs lenses, an 18-55 non is and a 55-250is. My other lenses are a Tamron 90 macro and a canon ef 100-300. So here is my dilema, do I sell my 50D and the 2 efs lenses and then buy a 5D plus a 24-105L or do I keep the 50D? Would I be stepping down/backwards? I know the digic processing and megapixel rate are higher, but the 5D is full frame, so surely that is in it's favour?

All comments welcomed..........

Re: downgrade?

Hmm. I've been pondering a 5D as well. Interested to see what response you get.

I have a 7D, mainly for wildlife, but pondering a 5D (Mk1) to get the best out of my 17-40L. 5D has to be a good camera still.
    Can you manage to keep the 50D to go with the 100-300 and benefit from the crop factor & get a 5D as well?

Comment

If i will shoot landscapes and portraits then 5D definitely my choice over 40D/50D and even 7D, full frame is my key.

Comment

I bought a 5D to go with my 50D - I thought it was superb - ISO good at 1600, OK at 3200. It is a bit slower and more clunky than the 50D but the photos were good.

Then I bought a 5DII and the 5D has hardly been used since.

50D still getting used where the crop factor comes into play - especially if the ISO is 400 or less. The 135 f2 plus 50D makes a great short telephoto combination (1.6*135=216mm). The 17-40F4 and 24-105F4 are my favoured walkabouts for the 50D - not heavy and fit nicely in a bag. If nature walking I also slip in the 180 macro as it doubles up as a closeup and a medium telephoto - too slow focussing for anything fast though.

Found that on the 5D/5DII the 24-105F4 and 70-200F4 makes a good IQ pair of walkabouts. The 100-400 works well on FF - excellent for medium length landscapes. The 135 is the portrait lens of choice on FF as it always was on film as well

The 5D and 50D are really aimed at different types of photography. The quality of picture is definitely better on the 5D - but sports and birds are better on the 50D
        Last edited by briansquibb; 08-01-2011, 14:25.
        ef-r

Comment

Cat amongst the pigeons then!!! Now I shoot Landscapes (especially like shooting waterscapes), I shoot Flowers and I like macro work. I do very little at night but would do some more. Birds (especially birds of prey) are another fav. As yet I'm not into portraiture or glamour/nude, only as I lack the confidence and the people skills involved.

So NOW I'm stumped. It would seem then that I need to buy a 5D and KEEP my 50D. WOOHOO

Comment

[QUOTE=briansquibb;35973]I bought a 5D to go with my 50D - I thought it was superb - ISO good at 1600, OK at 3200. It is a bit slower and more clunky than the 50D but the photos were good.

Then I bought a 5DII and the 5D has hardly been used since.

Fancy a swap for the unused 5D!!!!???? I can offer a lovely Giant TCR4 push bike thats done 6 miles and a brand new helmet and an indoor turbo trainer.........!!!!!!!! I'd offer to swap some cash for the camera but I haven't got any!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
              Hmm. I've been pondering a 5D as well. Interested to see what response you get.

I have a 7D, mainly for wildlife, but pondering a 5D (Mk1) to get the best out of my 17-40L. 5D has to be a good camera still.
              Can you manage to keep the 50D to go with the 100-300 and benefit from the crop factor & get a 5D as well?
              I have both the 7 D & 5 D MkII the 7 D i use for sports photography ideal with say the120-300mm or 100-400 mm,
              and will be using the 5 D for out & about photography as i call it with a 24-105mm & 12-24mm & 15mm.
              Oldmandon you would not be downgradeing at all it is swings & round a bouts but i understand your dilema.
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
              Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
              Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input.

My issues may be resolved VERY soon, as I have been VERY GENEROUSLY lent a Canon EO5D to play with and see how I get on with it.

I have MANY MANY THANKS to extend to our very own briansquibb who was the very generous member that has lent me a complete stranger his loved EOS5D.
                Now I'm going to rent a 24-105L lens ( see another thread) especially for the 5D, as this is my ideal combo.
                When I've got some decent pics, I'll post some up for everyones critique!!!!!!

Comment

Hope you enjoy your test with the 5 DMkII Don & Brian you are a top man to lend out your 5D.

Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmandon View Post
                    I have been VERY GENEROUSLY lent a Canon EO5D to play with and see how I get on with it.
                    Brian is well known for his generosity, helpful nature and humour.

However, if he offers to loan you a goat, may I suggest you diplomatically decline. They are an acquired taste and not at their best with mint sauce!

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Angora goats are very warm and cuddly in the winter
                      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        Brian is well known for his generosity, helpful nature and humour.

However, if he offers to loan you a goat, may I suggest you diplomatically decline. They are an acquired taste and not at their best with mint sauce!

Colin

HaHa. I've never had goat. I thought it was sheep with mint sauce, beef with horseraddish, ham with mustard, pork with apple......so what would you have goat with????!!!!!

Angora goats are very warm and cuddly in the winter

And I bet they're very photogenic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Goat curry is a good dish.

Comment

Working...
                          X