Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noise

It's still one stop
    Yes you're right MX5, ISO 100 to 200 is just a stop too but the difference is 100 rather then 800

I'm suggesting testing with thirds of a stop when you get beyond 800 ISO provided you don't need an extra full stop faster shutterspeed. imho higher ISO is the option of last resort, and never going to higher ISO than I absolutley have too is what I always tend to do.

I see people with cameras shooting at higher ISOs to the point were they've overexposed a snap.
    Or produced a noisy snap were they didn't have to !
    It's like they think because their camera is less noisy they must push it, to get their money's worth

Nice shot Woooley.

Trev
    Last edited by Trevoreast; 31-01-2011, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
      The 5D and 5dII are perfectly OK to 1600 - I would expect the same from the 7D
      The 7D has significantly smaller pixels than a 5DmkII so will be noticeably worse for noise (see the image links I posted earlier in this thread for an idea, it will be quite a bit worse again in low light). That doesn't make it bad, just not as good.

However if you are going to resize the full image down a great deal, and do it with good (or even reasonable) resizing software, you are actually reversing the effect and increasing the pixel size again. Images in this thread are less than half a megapixel, so would look pretty good noise-wise from a P&S if they are full-ish images scaled.

My suspicion is the first image in the thread is actual pixels and the rest are much larger images resized down. I could be wrong.

John

Comment

My suspicion is the first image in the thread is actual pixels and the rest are much larger images resized down. I could be wrong.
        I pretty logical suspicion, I think.

Another thing I've noticed is that a slightly noisy jpg image printed as a smallish glossy print seems almost noiseless under "normal scrutiny"

Trev

Comment

Another thing I've noticed is that a slightly noisy jpg image printed as a smallish glossy print seems almost noiseless under "normal scrutiny"
          Have to agree with you there Trev,I've done Prints A4 and A3 and on screen the noise looks as though it may be a slight problem,but when printed they look fine and i really have to look hard to find any noise even on an A3 !!

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

There seems to be a direct correlation between noise and "Wow".

The more "Wow" the photo has, the less noise you notice.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Plus sometimes noise actually helps the look...

Comment

Which is better in term of noise, 7D or 1D markIII? And what about 1D3 and 1D4?

Comment

I can only talk from experience with the 1D MKIII and MKIV. The MKIV has approx a 2 stop noise advantage over the MKIII.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    I can only talk from experience with the 1D MKIII and MKIV. The MKIV has approx a 2 stop noise advantage over the MKIII.

Colin
                    Ah ok, then i have to pray to get that 1D4 to work beside my 1D3, i will sell my 1D2n then but it sounds my 1D2n will never give me even 40-50% price of 1D3.

Comment

You have left it a little late to maximise the used price of the MKIIn, but the MKIV will work well with the MKIII.

I use the MKIV as my main body, with the MKIII as my back-up. They are very similar to use and set up for the custom functions and at times, difficult to tell the difference.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

You have left it a little late to maximise the used price of the MKIIn, but the MKIV will work well with the MKIII.

I use the MKIV as my main body, with the MKIII as my back-up. They are very similar to use and set up for the custom functions and at times, difficult to tell the difference.

Colin
                        I know, in sports i can see the difference in IQ between 1D3 and 1D2n which is bothering me, so i am thinking to replace or to get another body with 1D3, 1D4 is tempting but i hate when CAnon now producing new gear and increasing the price up higher than their old previous same series versions original price, i remember i bought 1D2n and 1D3 each in less than US$4000

Comment

In the UK, launch price was around £4,500 in October 2009. By the time stock was starting to be available in Jan 2010, price was around £4,000. Now a year later, current price is around £3,400.

It's now not too far divorced from the original MKIII price. Good used MKIII's go for around £1,500, a little more for boxed minters.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

In the UK, launch price was around £4,500 in October 2009. By the time stock was starting to be available in Jan 2010, price was around £4,000. Now a year later, current price is around £3,400.

It's now not too far divorced from the original MKIII price. Good used MKIII's go for around £1,500, a little more for boxed minters.

Colin
                            And how much that mint 1D2n could be there?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                              Yes you're right MX5, ISO 100 to 200 is just a stop too but the difference is 100 rather then 800
                              Not sure I go with that. 800 what's? Considering it's just re-using a numbering system that was designed for something else, you could just as easily call it 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x or maybe 1, 2, 4, 8 if you insist on keeping the reciprocal. I'd guess in digital terms, 100 - 200 means twice as much light and twice as much noise subject to what the internal software can deal with.
                              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Tareq View Post
                                And how much that mint 1D2n could be there?
                                1D2n's are selling for about £700
                                ef-r

Comment

Working...
                                X