Body or lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body or lens

I have the chance to upgrade my presant 400d to a 50d (or the new one which should be out soon) or go for a larger lens ie Sigma 50-500.Now before you all start telling me its down to the pics you take I love to take pics of things that seem to be to far away(aircraft,boats etc)so the 500 would be great.So basiclly its down to a better body or bigger lens whats you views?
    My friends call me Woody

Re: Body or lens

On the premise that bodies become obsolete and lenses don't, I'd say the wise money would be spent on glass.
    Dave

Comment

I agree. Lenses keep their investment and Sigma's long galss is very good value for money and good optically.
      www.garywhite-photography.com
      Gary White, MPhil
      Travel Photographer

Comment

IMHO if you're happy with the body and don't have any pressing reasons to change (like preferring the physically larger body of the 50D) then I would say go for glass as that's what'll make a difference to the shots you can take.

PhotoPlus tested a number of large zooms in this months issue, and it was the Sigma 150-500 that won. (The 50-500 was also in the test group.)

Comment

If you do go for a body, I would opt for the 40D ahead of the 50D anyway. But agree with others re. glass

Martin

Comment

My vote would be for glass as well...

You don't say what lens kit you already have. The Sigma 50-500 is impressive; but if you are already covered at the shorter end, you might want to consider the Sigma 150-500. (Or even the 120-400). They're cheaper, and lighter, and both also have Image Stabilisation. The 50-500 doesn't...

NOTE also that all the x-500's are slow at the long end with a max aperture of f/6.3! The 120-400 is f/5.6 at 400mm.
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Glass all the way.
              Eric

5D2 & BG-E6 / 5D & BG-E4 / Eos 300 & PB-200 / Eos 650 / Canon G9
              17-35mm f2.8 L / Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 L / 24-70mm f2.8 L / Canon 28-200mm / 50mm f1.4 / 70-200mm f2.8 L IS / 180mm f3.5 L

Comment

Glass - easy isn't it!
                http://chrisbirding.blogspot.com/

Comment

Canon-fodder I have at the moment Canon 18-55mm(kit lens),Sigma 24-70mm,Sigma 70-300mm and a Kenco x2 converter.

Thanks for all your input.
                  My friends call me Woody

Comment

I have just got the Sigma 150-500 and took it motor racing on the weekend. Dreadful weather but the lens coped well. impressed with the 4 stops of IS.
                    Go for the glass

Comment

Looks like glass wins!
                      www.garywhite-photography.com
                      Gary White, MPhil
                      Travel Photographer

Comment

all the way
                        Craig

Comment