Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to go from a 30D to a 7D or 5D MkII??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking to go from a 30D to a 7D or 5D MkII??

Enjoy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
      Woolley - is that a 1:1 crop or an 18MP picture shrunk down to 427KP?

Either way I haven't seen anyone using the 18MP sensor (550D/60D/7D) see much noise at ISO 100, so perhaps something odd is going on? Can you put a full-res picture somewhere we can see it (perhaps WeTransfer.com if you can't think of anywhere else)? The 40D has less pixels (10 vs. 18) and so bigger ones, but it's also older so that will reduce the difference a bit as technology marches on. I could see it possibly looking better at ISO1600 but 100 vs. 400 needs investigating.
      Gallery is here. It was taken as JPEG, tungsten balance, I think MFine setting but I can't find it in the exif - I'm sure it must tell me somewhere. I tend not to use the full 18MP because I simply don't need file sizes that big, so my normal setting is MRAW. I'm seeing a lot of criticism of the camera for noise which made me hesitate a little before committing to it, however talking to another user at length reassured me and in practice I'm not noticing any problems. I do think Canon might have been wiser setting it at 12 or 15MP for better pixels, but on the whole I have no complaints.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I think at ISO 1600 and up you'll lose out noticeably to the big pixel guys (can't beat physics) , but at low ISO all the real-world 7D shots I've seen have looked fine. Plus all those pixels are great if you're photographing something small and distant.

BTW this review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...ra-Review.aspx suggests the 7D's native sharpness is less than the x0/x00D models and so you should turn it up a bit for direct comparisons. (That isn't surprising, the more upmarket you go with Canon the less they sharpen, to give less chance of getting artifacts and leaving the tog as much real detail as possible to do what they want with later. Going down-market they tend to turn the sharpening up a bit, as that's what looks good to consumers who probably won't be messing about afterwards.)

John
        Last edited by DrJon; 05-03-2011, 12:17.

Comment

Decision now made and I changed my mind at the last minute as an opportunity came up which I couldn't ignore.

Just bought a 5D MkII c/w 24/70mm F2.8L USM from the Canon eBay site.

I have bought quite a few items from this site in the past and have never been disappointed. The products are more often than not brand new and unused and all come with a full 12 month Canon UK warranty.

I also have the security of the 7 day distance selling regulations in which to completely check over the items and decide if I wish to keep them or not.

Price I paid???.....................£2100 for both items!!!!! They should be here tomorrow by courier. Also paid by my 1% cashback c/card so another £21 discount so net price £2079.

Feeling rather chuffed and really hope the items live up to my expectations. Do the experts on here advise anything in particular I should be checking when they arrive?

Finally, thank you all for your inputs which have gratefully received.

Comment

I moved from a 50D to the 5DII (via a 5D) and have loved it.
            ef-r

Comment

Enjoy your 5D MkII.
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
              Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
              Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

The 5D MkII and 24-70 F2.8L USM lens have arrived. The camera body looks fine and appears to be unused and unmarked.

However, I am a bit concerned about the lens. The focusing ring seems to have some "play" in it which can be felt and even heard (albeit quietly). Is this normal as I find it difficult to understand and accept in a lens that retails at around £1000?

I would really appreciate your responses soonest before I consider rejecting it and sending it back.

Rgds

Comment

Working...
                X