New Body to complement my 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Body to complement my 7D

I am looking at buying a second body to complement my 7D.... I don't own any EF-S lenses and use exclusively Canon glass. I tend to photograph whatever I fancy at the time and thought the 5D Mk II would be good... any thoughts?
    EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Re: New Body to complement my 7D

Sounds ideal. To complement it you either need something lighter and smaller which would be the 60D, or you want something the 7D won't do which is full frame. That would make the best use of your 17-40 as well.

Put it another, way, unless you want to travel lighter sometimes, if you can afford a 5D as well, why wouldn't you? I can't think of a reason not to.
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Yes (to the 5DmkII)

Comment

I was sure anyway, but that was just the answer I wanted to hear.... going out tommorow to to try it in the hand... the cash is burning a hole in my pocket!!!
        EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_rw View Post
          I was sure anyway, but that was just the answer I wanted to hear.... going out tommorow to to try it in the hand... the cash is burning a hole in my pocket!!!
          Try it on iso3200/6400 and compare with the same shot at the same ISO of the 7D
          ef-r

Comment

If I could convince my wife that I needed a 5d, I would have one.

John

Comment

If you have a load of cash burning a hole in your pocket, consider the 1Ds MKIII, it's Canon's current top of the range body, knocks the socks of any of the non-pro bodies, built like a tank, and will just keep on going and going.

It ain't cheap and it ain't light though :)
              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Would have to agree that the 5D MKII with make an excellent addition to your kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                  If you have a load of cash burning a hole in your pocket, consider the 1Ds MKIII
                  Hmm, I think if you need a 1D you know you do and there's no discussion. If you're not certain, then the 5D will be fine.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I would love a 1D, it took me long enough to convince 'er indoors that the 5D was a basic necessity for a normal hobby photographer who already has a new (year old) 7D... I don't think I will be able talk her into a 1D until the 7D has a couple of years more use or it dies on me...

Comment

7D has a couple of years more use or it dies on me...
                      ......It can be arranged
                      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Good luck and enjoy...!

Comment

My thinking is to get a 5D, but as it's not urgent I'll wait and see what Autumn brings ... 5D3?

Comment

Hi Ian,

If you go for a 5D then I think it'll be the 7D complimenting that body, rather than the other way around. However, if you can ever afford a 1D I can assure you the expense is worth it. The 1D iv is an awesome piece of kit - I'm over the moon with mine - the 7D now compliments the 1D.

TTFN,
                            Neil
                            Neilly's Flickr Page
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                            Facebook
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

There is no great urgency here...it's a case of I want one more than I need one... The 1D is the stuff of dreams at the moment. I can afford the camera, but not the divorce....

Comment

Working...
                              X