Flash stoped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash stoped working

I've been using the 430 mk2 flash on my 60D.
    Tonight I tried to use the built in flash but it would not pop up (either auto or manualy) .
    In the menu( built in flash) its saying an external flash is attatched which clearly its not.I have removed the battery and refited and the 430 on and off but it still thinks the external flash is fitted thus stoping the internal flash firing .
    A software fault or not?
    I have loaded the latest firmware so it s not that.
    Any thoughts ?
    Last edited by stormbringer; 11-03-2011, 23:55.

Re: Flash stoped working

Sounds as if it has got confused. My first move would be to take both batteries out of the camera (assuming the 60D has two) and leave them out overnight.
    Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

There is a small switch in the hotshoe which is pressed down when an accessory is attached. This stops the built-in flash activating when, for example, you have a Speedlite in the accessory shoe. It is not uncommon for this switch to stay in the down position when the Speedlite is removed. This makes the camera think that the Speedlite is still attached.

It is usually possible to release the switch by prodding it with a pin or needle. It helps to have a bright light and a small magnifier to see what you are doing.

On the EOS 60D the pin is on the right side of the shoe (viewing the shoe from the rear of the camera). It's about half way along, under the sprung piece of metal. It's not always easy to see, but it is there.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thank you Robert ,its now working again.
        John

Comment

It is usually possible to release the switch by prodding it with a pin or needle. It helps to have a bright light and a small magnifier to see what you are doing.

On the EOS 60D the pin is on the right side of the shoe (viewing the shoe from the rear of the camera). It's about half way along, under the sprung piece of metal. It's not always easy to see, but it is there.
          That sounds like a pain in the neck to me, it seems pretty grim that a camera that utilizes the built in flash as wireless commander would have this problem. Was it a one off, isolated incident ??? The fact the Robert knows about this issue makes alarm bells ring.

This would be enough to make me rule this camera out, when I replace my 30D in April. Photography is hard enough sometimes, without havng to resort to pins and magnifiers.

It's too early to talk about emabarrasing recalls just yet, but cause for concern imho

Trev
          Last edited by Trevoreast; 14-03-2011, 12:02.

Comment

I think it is always best for someone to buy a tried and tested camera rather than plonk for the new one as it comes off the production line. I have not heard much problems with the 50d for example. Is there a moral somewhere down the line?
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
              This would be enough to make me rule this camera out, when I replace my 30D in April. Photography is hard enough sometimes, without havng to resort to pins and magnifiers.Trev
              This micro switch has been a feature of every EOS with built-in flash since 1987. It can get stuck occasionally, especially if you don't use hot-shoe accessories very often. It's obviously not a major problem, or more people would be aware of it. Personally, I'm all in favour of repairs which can be done with pins and magnifiers - much cheaper than using a service centre. Yes, it would be even better if nothing ever went wrong with anything we bought, but that's not going to happen any time soon.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Personally, I'm all in favour of repairs which can be done with pins and magnifiers - much cheaper than using a service centre.
                I’m thinking about working and disruption.
                I’ve got my flashgun on camera and I decide I want to use it off camera with the wireless, but first I need to find my pin,magnifier, and a torch if it’s dark, I can’t see that working for me at all.

That’s why I asked if it was a “one off, isolated incident”.
                Trev

Comment

It could happen to any eos pop up flash ,the only way for it not to happen is to buy a pro modle without the pop up flash.
                  This happend after I had removed the 430 for the first time and has been ok since.
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X