On a tight budget! EOS 20/30D or XSi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a tight budget! EOS 20/30D or XSi?

I had a Canon Rebel XTi / 400D for a number of years.
    I was generally happy with it, but felt I'd 'outgrown' it and wanted to use something more professional. So I sold it last year expecting to upgrade to a 50D (this was before the launch of the 60D). But it's been a rather expensive year, what with moving country and taking on some extra financial commitments. So I've not been able to afford the upgrade. Instead, I've been immersed in iPhone photography which required no extra investment and has been creatively fulfilling.

But I desperately miss my DSLR and I simply have to get another one asap!
    I only have about $200-$350 to spend. Until I have more funds at my disposal, for the time being I am considering either a used 20D or 30D (probably from eBay) or a Rebel XSi (which I can buy manufacturer refurbished from the Canon Loyalty program).

So here's the question:
    I know that the XSi is packed full of features not on the 20 or 30D - many of them quite desirable for sure, but my main concern is image quality. Which camera would deliver this?

I'd assume a 20 or 30D being more of a semi-pro/amateur enthusiast level camera would generally be better than an entry-level DSLR (although I know the XSi is not a basic entry-level DSLR). Or can the more recent sensor in the XSi can out-perform the older 20D or 30D? I know I would much prefer to have a camera the size of the 20 or 30D as it 'feels' more solid and fits in the hand better, but I wouldn't want this at the expense of poorer image quality. If I did go for a used 20 or 30D, how many shutter actuations would be acceptable/what else should I look out for?

I have a few Canon lenses (50mm f1/8, 35mm f/2 and an old 80-200mm which I don't expect to use much).
    I'm planning on getting more into street photography (I'd love to be able to afford a used 5D and get the benefit of the full frame but it's not to be for now)

I'd appreciate any advice. Many thanks in advance.

Re: On a tight budget! EOS 20/30D or XSi?

Looks like the 20D/30D are a bit better in low light and otherwise there isn't a lot in it (well, other than having less pixels and more frames per sec in the x0 models):

(I believe the XSi is a 450D this side of the pond.)
    Hope that helps
    John
    Last edited by DrJon; 05-06-2011, 15:20.

Comment

P.S. This ( http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos20d.htm ) suggests once over 60K you're getting through the life of a 20D. Here ( http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos450d.htm ) it suggests that's about twice what you'd get from an XSi.
      Although I wouldn't guarantee their figures in any way.
      John

Comment

P.P.S. Attach a lens and shoot the sky at f22 so you can see how much stuff will need cleaning off the sensor and help forming an idea if it was loved or not.

Comment

I liked the "Loved" expression John. It summed up the whole ethos of camera care in one word!

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Thanks for the comments - all points duly taken and much appreciated.
            It's clear from reading here (and elsewhere) that this is a close run thing. I hear some people fighting the corner of the 30D, and others praising the XSi.
            I think on reflection that the handling of the camera is what's most important to me, given there's pros and cons on both sides.
            I think I'll most likely go for a 30D but I am slightly concerned about shutter actuations. How can you know for sure how many actuations a camera has taken?
            Thanks once again.

Comment

The only utilities I've seen for giving shutter counts are for the 40D and up, although Canon can access the data. If there's a better answer I'll leave it to others as I don't know it. (I understand it isn't stored in the pictures you take, as was suspected for some time.)
              John

Comment

I m a proud owner of a 30d from 2006. No problems, errors, failures, damages yet. You can get it at very low prices, it s a nice old camera. A4 prints really good (A3 or more never tried). ISO up to 1000 is good in afternoon with not much of contrast in the image, up to 400 with a lot of contrast. My opinion, is, to get good images from a camera you need great lenses. Here is a photo at 1/100 @ 400mm! (IS ON, 400mm reached with 2xTC), f7.1, ISO 1600! Hope I help.

DrFly by NiPols, on Flickr
                Last edited by oplous; 11-06-2011, 21:25.

Comment

Working...
                X