Canon 550d vs 600d vs 60d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 550d vs 600d vs 60d

I have come out of "stupor" to start thinking of photography again. I have the 550d but because of the articulated LCD screen on the 600d and the addtional facility of on camera RAW adjustments on the 60d, I am seriously thinking of upgrading to either the 600d or the 60d. I have come to appreciate and like to take photographs of the interior of buildings and find that the articulated LCD screen would be a great help- I don't have to go down on my "old" knees to check the image on the screen, but can look at the image by adjusting the LCD screen.

Any ideas or coments from the members. I have the lenses I need for now- 10-20mm sigma, 17mm-50mm Tamron, 24mm- 105mm Canon and the 70-200mm canon (both the latter are L series lenses). I also have the Canon 450d which I use a lot as I find it is so reliable and "rugged" in IMO.

I am asking this as I will have some extra funds very soon, and would like to spend this on a camera body (cropped). SWMBO refuses to carry my camera gear even parts of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Canon 550d vs 600d vs 60d

Can't give you any advice about the camera... cos I don't know anything... but I'm glad you are starting to think of photography again

I can say, I wouldn't mind an articulated screen on my own camera, I've practically put my neck out trying to take a photo of a flower this evening.

Best of luck on your camera decision.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

I used to own a couple of Olympus cameras which had articulated screens, but very rarely found that I actually needed to unfold them! The other downside to them was that they used to break off, however I must stress this was on Olympus camera bodies & I have no experience of the Canon ones as I have a 50D. As to the 600D or 60D I think the 60D would be the better choice for you considering you are using some lenses with a good weight to them.
      Regards Eddie.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Nat - unless you have an urgent requirement I'd wait until the autumn announcements from Canon. That may be bring something of interest ... it will also impact the costs of those cameras you cite (in your favour). I'm not getting into rumours but just Canon's normal release cycle.

I would naturally say think 60D ... I have to say having previously used a Noink Coolpix 8700 on my rambles the articulated screen is actually useful (and I ignored the comments that real men don't use articulated screens!). In camera RAW editing isn't something that would enhance my workflow, although my 7D does allow me to print RAW having done some in camera processing. But again it's time consuming ... blah de blah ... but you might find it a boon if using DPP or ACR to externally process RAW isn't your thing (but I'd say learning to do this greatly enhance your enjoyment and productivity ... IMHO).

But don't expect a huge increase in IQ ... my 40D still yields more than acceptable results and my 7D isn't light years ahead ... better yes ... but by an english country mile ... no.

Comment

Personally I can't see much point in moving from the 550 to the 600. More MP and an articulated screen, but not much else. The 60 would be more of an upgrade, moving to a higher spec model and seems a better choice.

Personally, for your specified use, I'd spend the budget on a good tripod or a seriously good wide prime or fish-eye, or maybe even a tilt-and-shift...
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Woolley,

I am not very much a fan of the fish eye effect, nor would I like to spend a lot of dosh on the t&S lenses. I have a decent Manfrod (hope the spelling is right) tripod which I don't use very much- perhaps I should. I prefer to hand hold my pics as I do have fairly steady hands, and with a fast TV, I don't see any blurr in my pics. I don't print beyond A4 size, and this is mainly for the parishioners in my church. Most my print sizes are either 7x5 or 6x4. So from what you say, the 60d is a better option for me? I find that the articulated LCD screen would be a great asset to me, in my senior years, without getting into strange positions to view the subject before clicking the shutter.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nathaniel, I would agree that the 60D is a better camera than the 600D. However in the past you have mentioned that you are concerned about weight. The 600D body only weighs in at 570g compared to 755g for the 60D body, which is also physically biger than the 600D. Will this be an issue for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                Nathaniel, I would agree that the 60D is a better camera than the 600D. However in the past you have mentioned that you are concerned about weight. The 600D body only weighs in at 570g compared to 755g for the 60D body, which is also physically biger than the 600D. Will this be an issue for you?
                Muscat,

Thanks for that. I have actually carried both cameras at my local Jessops, and I haven't found the 60d weight much of an issue. The only thing is that through force of habit, I take two cameras with me(one fitted with a standard zoom- tamron 17-50mm & the other one with the Canon 70-200mm L lens) when on holiday as I don't like to keep on changing lenses due to the dust and other problems getting into the sensor. I might take my Sigma 10-20 lens as well & the nifty fifty. So I travel reasonably "light". Yes, I agree that weight is always a problem for me due to health reasons. It is quite possible that I might opt for the 600d on the weight issue. I intend taking my camera kit to Jessops in my Lowepro bag and try out the two camera's in my bag.
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 10-06-2011, 12:08.

Comment

Nat - If you want to travel very light you should consider a G series Canon.

Comment

MX5. Yes agree. However, I am so used to taking the DSLR's with me and am comfortable with them. However, I will invest in the G series Canon as I have just sold my Olympus bridge camera.This will perhaps go into the bag in place of the Canon 430 Ex flash. Travelling around UK in my car is no problem as I can take whatever I want. It is foreign travel which concerns me much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                      Personally I can't see much point in moving from the 550 to the 600. More MP and an articulated screen, but not much else. The 60 would be more of an upgrade, moving to a higher spec model and seems a better choice.
                      More MP?? Really??..............................its exactly the same sensor!!
                      Regards Eddie.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

The main benefits of moving from the 550D to the 600D and 60D are:

Better metering
                        Better AF
                        Onboard wireless flash

and for the 60D - higher fps

There are allsorts of other minor benefits which are mostly releated to 'user usability' such as the articulated screen

Brian
                        ef-r

Comment

Okay - using Canon's Camera Compare --- Compare 550D, 600D and 60D.

The 60D does give you a tick in the box for CPS memebership if I recall. You'll still need another xD or xxD plus 3 L lenses.
                          Last edited by MX5; 20-06-2011, 13:35.

Comment

Thank you all for all the good advice. Most probably on the weight aspect, I will go in for the 600d. It has a vari LCD sceen which will help me without having to bend down etc. I also hope to move soon to N.Wales-St Asaph, and I am aware that there is quite a lot of local wildlife to see and photograph- including Badgers and cubs. If I was younger I would have opted for the 60d but the weight does put me off.

I hope to be posting more images for C&C once I move.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                              If I was younger I would have opted for the 60d but the weight does put me off.
                              You wouldn't want my 5DII with 70-300L and 3 580EX then
                              ef-r

Comment

Working...
                              X