Focus areas on a EOS R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus areas on a EOS R

I was looking at the latest R5 & R6 details from canon and they state that these models have 1053 focus areas as opposed to 143 on the present R. This is the first I’ve heard of focus areas, they are not referred to in the full manual for the EOS R and it is not clear how they relate to the 5655 selectable focus points and selectable grids and boxes.

One review mentions “In 1-point mode, scrolling the dials moves the point to any of 143 positions (an 13 x 11 array)” but I can’t see that happens on mine and I can’t see the point anyway.

I don’t regard it as being particularly important but I’m just curious to know what they are referring to. Can anyone who has an R shed any light on this?

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

I think what it is referring to is that to have that many focus points displayed you probably wouldn't be able to see the image behind them. If you load your images in to DPP you can get it to display all the focus points including the ones selected or used to focus and the screen on the R5 is covered in little boxes but I doubt there is 5655 show and no I'm not counting them ;-) However, the camera really does track from edge to edge unlike my R which is good but there is a cut off.

Comment

Working...
    X