No announcement yet.

R Series Mirrorless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought about lenses when you swap to the R system.....twice now, once when I bought the 5D3 and again with the R I bought the 24-105 F4 lens as a kit...such good value, but it stops me justifiably investing in the faster 24-70f2.8....which along with the 70-200 would be a better set up for me.
    (the 24-105 is excellent though!)

Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by JayTee View Post
      Whoopee!! RF 100 - 500 has finally arrived. All I have to do now is think up a way of getting out to collect it.
      More of lifes little frustrations!
      looking forward to seeing some of your shots on here JayTee....thanks for the PS mention, I hope you are getting on with the adaptor and your EF lenses ok.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I bought an R primarily for my conference work about 2 years ago. Brilliant for that, the silent shutter making it much better than my (otherwise very capable) 5D IV. I bought the 24-105 L and 35 f1.8 at the time, as it was at The Photography Show, and I got big discounts on it all. And then COVID...
        Last year, I hardly used the R. Used a 5DS R for the little bit of landscape work I managed to do, took the M6 II on trips (went away in January and February) and daily walks - the R and 24-105 was just too heavy to carry and come back with nothing. But then in December, I got myself the 24-105 STM for my birthday, and suddenly, weight wasn't an issue. And now I've added the 85mm f2, very nice lens and makes a nice compact kit with the body and 35mm. I'm enjoying using the camera for a change. All the lenses feel surprisingly good, considering 3 of them aren't L lenses.
        So here I am, happily using Ms, EF mount cameras, and the R. And really happy with them all.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Starting to consider the swap, it seems inevitable we'll have to in time. Looking at R6 with a mount adapter and possibly a grip as I'm used to one. No intention to change lenses for some time - I pretty much have everything I need and can't justify the cost of swapping for essentially the same lens. Scary amount of money. Going from 7DmkII, with a mkI to trade in, I think the R6 is the nearest equivalent.

Hoping somebody has done something similar and can reassure me it's worth the investment.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Hello all I've joined the mirrorless revolution !

Can't believe I'd do it as I love, but love, my 5d4.
            However I was moved by the promise of low light abilities and the fantastic tracking system.
            Also I miss the fun I had with just one camera, one lens that I took travelling. That changed when I bought the 5d and for our trip to the Grand Canyon pre-covid I lugged around the 5d4 with 24-105L (don't leave home without it) 16-35 L (canyon = wide !) and 70-300 STM (just in case)

So I sold the 80d and various EFS lenses and traded in for a R6 and the RF 24-240
            Couldn't justify the extra £2000 for pixels on the R5 and never use the video

So far I'm thrilled with the low light and the tracking but finding learning the camera is hard work, some of the buttons are in the "wrong" place.
            The 24-240 is just such fun and the one lens I've been hoping to find after my EFS18-200/ 80d combo became old hat

I have a mount adapter and am just going to see how I go with the 5d4 and my L lenses for now until my pulse and bank balance have recovered.

I've tried my 100-400L with the R6 and the tracking is amazing. Can't bear the thought of saying goodbye to the 5d but if I'm going to go the whole hog with the 100-500L ( a distinct possibility! ) then it and the 100-400 will have to go

It would seem sensible to keep the 16-35L and 50 mm prime with the mount adapter as they are occasional lenses, not heavy and not going to be used for tracking

I echo a comment Brian made on here earlier about feeling liberated with less lenses. I want the fun part back and I think the R6 is a big part of it, a bit lighter and less bulky and hopefully once I've mastered all the buttons and moved tings around, a doddle to use

However I'll be asking you guys some questions when I get stuck !!!
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
              Hello all I've joined the mirrorless revolution !

Can't believe I'd do it as I love, but love, my 5d4.
              However I was moved by the promise of low light abilities and the fantastic tracking system.
              Also I miss the fun I had with just one camera, one lens that I took travelling. That changed when I bought the 5d and for our trip to the Grand Canyon pre-covid I lugged around the 5d4 with 24-105L (don't leave home without it) 16-35 L (canyon = wide !) and 70-300 STM (just in case)

So I sold the 80d and various EFS lenses and traded in for a R6 and the RF 24-240
              Couldn't justify the extra £2000 for pixels on the R5 and never use the video

So far I'm thrilled with the low light and the tracking but finding learning the camera is hard work, some of the buttons are in the "wrong" place.
              The 24-240 is just such fun and the one lens I've been hoping to find after my EFS18-200/ 80d combo became old hat

I have a mount adapter and am just going to see how I go with the 5d4 and my L lenses for now until my pulse and bank balance have recovered.

I've tried my 100-400L with the R6 and the tracking is amazing. Can't bear the thought of saying goodbye to the 5d but if I'm going to go the whole hog with the 100-500L ( a distinct possibility! ) then it and the 100-400 will have to go

It would seem sensible to keep the 16-35L and 50 mm prime with the mount adapter as they are occasional lenses, not heavy and not going to be used for tracking

I echo a comment Brian made on here earlier about feeling liberated with less lenses. I want the fun part back and I think the R6 is a big part of it, a bit lighter and less bulky and hopefully once I've mastered all the buttons and moved tings around, a doddle to use

However I'll be asking you guys some questions when I get stuck !!!
              Welcome to the Club. I'm still trying to get used to where the 'buttons' are, very much like a new car when you found the windscreen washer switch was the other side
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Absolutely !

Why oh why is the on-off button reversed? And every time I want to review my picture I get the menu!

Considering the age of most of us who still use a camera rather than a phone, they should think about old dogs and new tricks .................

Comment

I was tempted by the 24-240....it gets great reviews...I'd like to see some real user shots with it Bo.......
                  All my Canons have been fantastic.....each has offered better performance - 50D, 5D3, 5D4, R and now R6.....now Ive rationalized down and financed the new gear with old gear sales.....so bank balance is net zero but I have much less stuff....and I have absolutely no regrets.
                  Personally I didn't like the EF with standard adaptor....I like using a lens ring....its irrational but user experience is better for me.
                  Total kit is R6, RF 24-105L, RF nifty fifty and RF600...........cracking!....and all goes in a Domke 5XB bag.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

So far very impressed with the RF 24-240 (as was Nina Bailey in her review inEOS mag) sharp, light, responsive and the usual zoom lens aberrations easily corrected in LR.
                    If you’ve already got the RF 24-105L I doubt you’d feel the need to go for it.
                    I will be taking it for a trip up north this weekend so hope to post some shots ....

Comment

Working...
                    X