Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebel SL2 highlight warning

Hi all.
    I purchased a used Canon Rebel SL2 from a local camera shop. I downloaded the .pdf manual and have been going through it as time permits. I found a reference to some kind of "highlight" warning feature while I was trying to find out if this camera had the "zebra strips" some other cameras have, which help with this type of issue (as I understand it).
    I cannot find any real explanation of this feature in the manual beyond mentioning it exists. I understand this camera does not have the zebra strips, but if I am reading the notice correctly there is some kind of alert in this camera.
    My question is: What is it? Can, and will, someone explain this feature for me? What am I looking for and where is it, etc.?

Thank you to all and I hope the year is starting well for you,
    James
    Last edited by jimbobway; 02-03-2022, 23:56.

I'm sure if you purchased the camera from your local camera shop, they would be more than happy sort out and explain any problems you've have with it. - give them a try
    Last edited by Trev B; 03-03-2022, 07:51.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I have no idea if this will help as I don't have your camera model. However on both my eos cameras the "Highlight Alert" is in the blue menu, if Canon are following the same pattern across the range then yours may have the same general format.
      The blue menu is the playback settings and on both my cameras the highlight alert is on the "page" 3 window.

The Highlight Alert when enabled shows when viewing an image on the screen, the areas of the picture that are over exposed (highlights) repeatedly flash black.

I don't use the feature but use the histogram to determine if I have problems at either end of the shadow - highlight range.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyelines View Post
        I have no idea if this will help as I don't have your camera model. However on both my eos cameras the "Highlight Alert" is in the blue menu, if Canon are following the same pattern across the range then yours may have the same general format.
        The blue menu is the playback settings and on both my cameras the highlight alert is on the "page" 3 window.

The Highlight Alert when enabled shows when viewing an image on the screen, the areas of the picture that are over exposed (highlights) repeatedly flash black.

I don't use the feature but use the histogram to determine if I have problems at either end of the shadow - highlight range.
        The "Highlight Alert" is on the same menu screen and page on my 5DMk4 as described by Skylines above ^ I suspect it will be similar on the menu of a Canon Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D outside of the USA), providing that the camera has that capability to display highlight Alert on the image playback.
        Last edited by ST-EOS; 03-03-2022, 18:47.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thank you all. I found that the guy at the camera shop, while knowing a lot about a lot of camera models, does not know everything about each model. He has on occasion gone to check something on the internet, as I would have. So I did not go that route. But it would have been worth a try anyway as it might be one of the many things he does know. Having said that, it is now a moot point. I read what you noted and found an answer. Although not showing as an option in the blue playback menu, I did an experiment, over exposing an image on purpose. I found that the image, either when showing for a couple seconds after taking it, or in playback, does flash the black warning. My mistake was in thinking it would show up in live view before I took the shot, alerting me to the fact in advance so I could take steps to correct it before wasting time taking the shot. I rarely use playback so missed that.
          I appreciate all of your input and taking the time to respond.
          Again Thanks,
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X