Mirrorless differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrorless differences

I see that Nina Bailey has produced a new book on photographing birds in flight and there are different books for DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. She describes the differences in advice as significant.

I don't take pictures of birds in flight, but I'm intrigued about these differences?
    Using Tapatalk

You needs to buy the books to find out
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Are you on commission Trev?
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
        Are you on commission Trev?
        Just my warped sense of humour. Must admit bit intrigued, perhaps it's regarding the menu settings. Suppose it would be a bit cheeky to ask her to put it up on here
        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

It has to be all to do with the auto focus system as that is the biggest single difference between DSLRs and Mirrorless.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

As Alan says I would think it's all about the focus system - particularly in respect of the subject specific focus tracking options and how to set them up optimally. I get the impression from articles and reviews that while the end results can be astonishing getting the settings right can be a little trickier than those available with DSLRs.
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I've already got Nina Bailey's book, Understanding the EOS R, though as it's an e-book, I've only really used it for reference. I suppose I ought to read more of it, especially the chapter on AF, and see what she has to say about the system.
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BobSapey View Post
                I see that Nina Bailey has produced a new book on photographing birds in flight and there are different books for DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. She describes the differences in advice as significant.

I don't take pictures of birds in flight, but I'm intrigued about these differences?
                It's very much to do with the autofocus capabilities and features of the cameras, though not exclusively. There are focusing feature name changes, new features like Subject detection, better automation in some areas, as well as underlying focusing behaviours which are completely different, particularly when it comes to tracking around the AF area. Even the size of the areas lead to different advice – whereas 1-point AF on DSLRs is really too small to be used reliably for moving subjects such as birds in flight, you can use it successfully with mirrorless cameras because it's larger than on DSLRs. Also, some of the features that were needed on DSLRs to optimise the set-up – such as Case Settings, ISO speed settings (in terms of minimum shutter speed options) and some of the more advanced focusing tweaks – are less relevant on mirrorless, and sometimes completely absent altogether.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Barrett View Post

It's very much to do with the autofocus capabilities and features of the cameras, though not exclusively. There are focusing feature name changes, new features like Subject detection, better automation in some areas, as well as underlying focusing behaviours which are completely different, particularly when it comes to tracking around the AF area. Even the size of the areas lead to different advice – whereas 1-point AF on DSLRs is really too small to be used reliably for moving subjects such as birds in flight, you can use it successfully with mirrorless cameras because it's larger than on DSLRs. Also, some of the features that were needed on DSLRs to optimise the set-up – such as Case Settings, ISO speed settings (in terms of minimum shutter speed options) and some of the more advanced focusing tweaks – are less relevant on mirrorless, and sometimes completely absent altogether.

Hope that helps
                  That is very helpful, thank you. I'm reading the Auto Focus System chapter in her book on Understanding the EOS R and it is quite informative. It has been the trickiest aspect of changing over to mirrorless and I'm appreciating the value of reading this book.
                  Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

Just my warped sense of humour. Must admit bit intrigued, perhaps it's regarding the menu settings. Suppose it would be a bit cheeky to ask her to put it up on here
                    I would be rude, when she makes her living from selling books. However, how to use a mirrorless Canon is not a state secret and starting a discussion is reasonable.

I now realise from some of the other responses that I have the answers in an e-book. However, that's been filed away on my computer and unlike printed books, I don't notice it's there.

It might not be unreasonable to ask if some of these ebooks could also be printed. I would be thumbing through Understanding the EOS R a lot if it was on paper.
                    Using Tapatalk

Comment

I would be rude, when she makes her living from selling books. However, how to use a mirrorless Canon is not a state secret and starting a discussion is reasonable.

I now realise from some of the other responses that I have the answers in an e-book. However, that's been filed away on my computer and unlike printed books, I don't notice it's there.

It might not be unreasonable to ask if some of these ebooks could also be printed. I would be thumbing through Understanding the EOS R a lot if it was on paper.
                      All posted in a light hearted mode, never intended to offend
                      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

I'm the same as Bob Have the Ebook sitting on the PC but would probably make more use of it if it were in print form

Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I bought the book in print for the R6 because I’ve lost touch with ebooks before….

I watched Jared Polin you tube set up video when I first got the R6….that was great for initial set up.

having made the investment of £ thousands on your gear it’s worth investing in the books.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                          X