• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In the words of the Clash...

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
    Dr Jon, thanks for that clarification.

Keith....sounds like you're tempted?
    Hi Brian, yes I am very, very tempted but so far resisted, telling myself that I can not buy into another system. If one were to be available with a degree of lens and flash compatibility to the EOS system, I would be buying in.
    Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

Thank you DrJon
      Originally posted by DrJon View Post
      I believe you can get adaptors that can control the aperture from the adaptor, but by a (manual) diaphragm in the adaptor itself. I have no idea how well that works (they run about £40).
      I have some very nice manual iris lenses from my old Contax days which would work very well.
      Or go the whole hog and get an adaptor that does on-the-fly protocol conversion (for aperture, I think still MF) and even powers the IS...
      I wonder how long before some non copyright respecting company reverse engineers one and makes them available on Ebay for £50 or so.
      Note the Panasonic AF1 camcorder has a m43 mount, so it will probably work with all m43 cameras (I did say probably).
      Noted.
      EF lenses are very big on m43 bodies though. My longest lens is the 100-300 (equiv FoV 200-600) which is about 5" long.
      I wonder how long the batteries would last driving a 300mm f/2.8
      I can't see Canon helping the competition out to the extent of doing an adapter... they'd much rather you used a 5DmkII/7D than a GH2.
      Very true.
      Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

The Olympus MFT lenses are very small compared to EF lenses, and not expensive.
        You can get a 14-42mm for £100, 40-150 for £140 . The 17mm or 20mm prime costs £200-£300.

I've gone in on the cheap (to try it out) while keeping my 50D and two L lenses - I have the Olympus EP-1 with 17mm and 14-42 for £420 and a 40-150mm for £130 - so total £550. No flash yet but thats a good range of gear for little more than the price of a 70-200 F4L lens.

The E-P3 has some nice enhancements but its basically the same kit - I don't think I'd want to pay the current £800 for it - but if the focussing is as good as they say then maybe its worth it.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          The market expectation of clients expecting serious togs / pros to turn up with the quintessential SLR might be the only reason that cameras retain that format. Just my opinion.
          Not so. 'tis mine also. I now shoot 95% of my work on my G11 (bought a G10 and was disappointed with the noise c.ISO400 and above, the G11's resolution reduction deals with that very effectively).

Too many people are obsessed with the "higher-the-number-of- pixels-the-better" attitude (as they are with constantly chasing absolute sharpness). 10-12mps is more than adequate for printing to A3, especially when viewed at "normal" viewing distances. Think back to film days - how many people printed regularly above 10x9? Not many "hobbyists", IMO.
          “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
          "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
          "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
          "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

I have two bonus comments...

Firstly here's a size comparison of the new Panasonic fast and stabilised m43 24-70 (equiv) lens and the Canon (unstabilised) one:

I got this from http://www.43rumors.com/ but linked directly as it will not stay at the top of the page for long. I wasn't planning to get one, but I may waver (kinda depends if it's f2 or f2.8 and if the new GF body is good enough, I suspect f2.8).

Secondly noise should only relate to sensor size and not pixel size, provided the image is viewed at the same size and the sensors are the same technically. If you look at the pixels then smaller pixels will lose.

John

Comment

Oh, and would Panasonic please stop throwing money at doing neat advertising and actually sell me an 14-42 X-series lens, although I do like the stuff about how it's put together...
              Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

One final caution, while my GF1 and all 3 lenses weigh a lot less than a 5DmkII, 24-105 and 580exII (which I was carrying today, left the 70-200 behind due to being knackered...) it's hard to describe how much more useful the full-frame optical viewfinder is, or the low light sensitivity... plus a Gn 58 flash don't hurt either...

Comment

to get back to the original post...I've decided to stay with EOS DSLR - the 50D was great at my daughter's wedding, and the Pen has been great on some recent walks - love em both.
                  But still want to upgrade to a 5DMk2 ...wife says I can have one but when is the question......50th birthday in November, Christmas around the corner.....it has to happen doesn't it!
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Perhaps off topic for the EOS forum.
                    Yesterday I was with a photographer shooting 'street' on a Ricoh GXR and M mount module, very impressed! Perhaps expensive for a 'body' but as I have 35mm, 50mm and 75mm M mount lenses that is another option for me.
                    Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X