60D requiring repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60D requiring repair?

My 60D will be one year old at the beginning of November and it's already showing its age.

- The rubber on the grip is coming off. I could glue this, but it still has a year of warranty on it, so I'd rather have Canon fix this. Just puzzles me that it goes bad so quickly.

- The internal flash seems to be blocked. When I try to raise it, it clicks a couple of times, then the camera displays an error. I usually use a flashgun or natural light, so it doesn't bother me all that much, but it is a new-ish camera and I need to get this fixed.

I haven't dipped it in water, dropped it or done anything one shouldn't do to a camera.

I'm going on holiday in early November. Then we have xmas coming up. I'll probably have a video or photo shoot somewhere in between. It is never a good time to send the camera away for a few weeks or however long a repair will take.

Has anyone had these problems with the 60D or other recent SLRs?
    myTube
    Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
    Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Re: 60D requiring repair?

I would take it back / send it back asap if i was you.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
    Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
    Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Yep. After the holiday. Mid-November. Can't and won't go to Mexico without it.
      myTube
      Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

My 60D will be one year old at the beginning of November and it's already showing its age.
        Is the 60D or grip showing it's age?
        There is a 12 month warranty on both from the invoice(s) date.
        Take whichever back and insist it is returned before your holiday in November.
        Good Luck !

Comment

The rubber on the camera is coming off. I checked with the store I bought it from, and I have two years.
          myTube

Comment

After a couple of weeks ownershipI had a problem with the flash not popping up on my 60D. Took it back and got a new 60D (seems a common problem!)
            Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

I believe the flash won't pop up in some modes (when you press the button) by design. (Or so my 60D-owning friend told me on Friday.)
              John

Comment

Originally posted by amphil007 View Post
                After a couple of weeks ownershipI had a problem with the flash not popping up on my 60D. Took it back and got a new 60D (seems a common problem!)
                No it's not a common problem i didn't experience this on my 60D only now the rubber is coming off a little on my camera i just use supergule to fix the problem, it's just a waste of time sending it back to Canon IMO. Because you only have to face it again after the warranty.

And the popup flash on the camera is crap i only use a external flash 430EX when needed.
                Last edited by Michael.K; 17-10-2011, 15:43.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

When I say common, I mean I'm not the only one this has happened to.
                  Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                    I believe the flash won't pop up in some modes (when you press the button) by design. (Or so my 60D-owning friend told me on Friday.)
                    John
                    Thats right, it will only come up (when the flash button is pressed) in the 'creative' zone.
                    It works automatically, in the basic zone.
                    Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

DrJon - The flash tries to pop up, clicks a few times and gives an error. Definitely nothing to do with being in the wrong mode. I never shoot in the auto modes anyway. I'm usually in Av, Tv or M.

CanonEOS - The internal flash isn't great, but I wouldn't call it crap. Especially when I don't have my external flash with me and need a flash. And besides, It's a new-ish camera, it wasn't cheap and it should just work.

As for a definition of "common problem". If a certain product is prone to break down in a certain way, it's a common problem. If 5% of internal flashes on the 60D stop working, it's a common problem even if 95% of the cameras work just fine.
                      myTube

Comment

How many people on this fourm or any other fourm have you seen a "common problem" with the popup flash on the 60D? i am a member of three photo camera websites i didn't recall seen any, it also might be problem where you buy it from, if it came from amazon.com they use 3rd party sellers, or just maybe you had just one faulty camera in the thousands Canon sold i call that good not common. just like the 5D MKII only some had a problem with the mirror fell out in the camera but i remember reading Canon fix this for free.

IMO the popup flash on the 60D is crap vs the external flash when used, and no professional cameras have them i just wish Canon never added it to any dslr camera i never use my popup flash because it don't have the power of a external flash, if you like it that's upto you. But when you learn more you will not use it.

The 60D was very good price for me i got it @220 pound cheaper then in the UK shop when it first came out.
                        Last edited by Michael.K; 17-10-2011, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by

IMO the internal flash is [U
                          crap[/U] vs the external flash when used, and no professional cameras have them i just wish Canon never added it to any dslr camera i never use my internal flash because it don't have the power of a flash, if you like it that upto you. when you learn more you will not use it.

The 60D was very good price for me i got it @220 pound cheaper then in the UK shop when it first came out.
                          Do you mean the popup flash is not very good.
                          The popup flash is ok it dose the job for every day use .

P S. I got my 5D MkII & 7 D each £ 250 cheaper than list price in uk & free P&P.

Do you
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                          Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                          Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Originally posted by F.S.P. View Post
                            Do you mean the popup flash is not very good.
                            The popup flash is ok it dose the job for every day use .
                            Ok i should have said the popup flash on the 60D camera not internal flash i edit my reply soon.

Comment

The pin (under the metal strip on the hot shoe) sticks down and disables the on board flash. This has happened to others on this forum.
                              And although the 'pop-up' flash is not very good on it's own, it does come in handy as a slave for firing 'off camera' flashes.
                              Last edited by amphil007; 17-10-2011, 19:55. Reason: spelling!
                              Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X