EOS 1D MK III Focus issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 1D MK III Focus issues

Have notice how in AI Servo the EOS 1D MK III struggles to lock focus, having covered 4 games over the weekend the amount of shots that are sharp is very very low and almost to a point of been unacceptable.Most images have back focus problems or struggles to track a moving player at speed.(or even a slow one)
    Just to note this camera does not fall into the focus problem of the early models.

Images below that show the problems I'm getting.

#1 can't track child running- soft image

#2 focus point is on the player in white shirt

#3 focus point on players knee's back focus on player behind

#4 back focus again

#5 Doesn't lock on to player,- soft image

Far to many images came out like this over the weekend, to many for user error not saying I'm Good but I was shocked at how many were out of focus.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: EOS 1D MK III Focus issues

Far too many variables to be any help here unless you give the settings used for your focus and if there are a lot out of focus, this does sound more like user error or incorrect settings.. What lens were you using? None have a long enough focal length apart from the Sigma 120-300 so a zoom is not going to be best to set up with Micro focus adjustment.. None of these seem to need A1 Servo mode and you may find you get sharper shots with One Shot AF ..
    Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

Did I read about Canon 1D mkIII focusing issues on several sites, can't remember which ones?
      Is there a firmware fix for this?
      The latest firmware is version 1.04

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
        Did I read about Canon 1D mkIII focusing issues on several sites, can't remember which ones?
        There was an issue with AF when first released but Canon sorted this - not sure if it was a recall or not.
        Later models have the AF fix in place.
        My serial No is 58*** and I've had no problems with my 1D3

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by daniel-obyrne View Post
          Far too many variables to be any help here unless you give the settings used for your focus and if there are a lot out of focus, this does sound more like user error or incorrect settings.. What lens were you using? None have a long enough focal length apart from the Sigma 120-300 so a zoom is not going to be best to set up with Micro focus adjustment.. None of these seem to need A1 Servo mode and you may find you get sharper shots with One Shot AF ..
          Thanks for your reply Danial.

All shots taken with the sigma 120-300 in AV mode shutter speed Approx1600/ 2000sec.
          At the weekend I'll try one shot AF to see what difference it makes,The most annoying thing is when i check the AF point in DPP the focus point is on the right player yet its seems to still focus on the players behind.I've upgraded the firmware to 1.03 (26/10/11) so it will be fingers crossed this weekend.

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
            Hi Stephen.

Have upgraded the firmware to 1.03 didn't see the 1.04 version,I'll have another look if this weekend is no better with the 1.03 upgrade.

Paul

Comment

Paul is yours a 'Blue Dot' 1D3 ? if not I would get in touch with Canon UK as you might still be able to get it looked at for free.

Also, see this: 1D3 Product advisories.

1.03 is the latest firmware (the 1.04 is for the Wireless controller)

Comment

Hi Mike

My serial No is 58*** and I've had no problems with my 1D3
                Don't think this camera falls into the early focus problems as i think the recalls were for cameras with serial No 51**** to 54**** and mine starts 55****,But i could be wrong.

Paul

Comment

Is it only the one lens you are having problems with Paul?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                    Paul is yours a 'Blue Dot' 1D3 ? if not I would get in touch with Canon UK as you might still be able to get it looked at for free.

Also, see this: 1D3 Product advisories.

1.03 is the latest firmware (the 1.04 is for the Wireless controller)
                    Many thanks for your reply MX.

There's no blue dot inside the battery compartment,
                    Thanks for the link, checked all the serial codes and my model should be fine and should have had the mirror problem sorted.
                    Hopefully the 1.03 firmware upgrade will have some effect or it will be official I'm C##P AT SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post

Mike
                      Hi Mike
                      Its the only lens i use for my action shots,But again it might be worth giving the EF200 f2.8 a try and see if there is any difference.
                      I've used the 24-105 with no problems but the shots taken were just every day shots no fast action.

Paul

Comment

Hi Mike (Samfisher)

Using a different Lens did the trick
                        Shot two games with the EF 200mm nearly all came out as i wanted and could have no complaints.
                        Rang suppliers of the Sigma Lens and they are coming to collect the lens tomorrow and have sigma UK to have a look.
                        So many thanks for the tip as it looks like a lens problem and not a Camera problem.

Paul

Comment

Good to hear you resolved the problem, and came back to tell us.
                          Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                            Hi Mike (Samfisher)

Using a different Lens did the trick
                            Shot two games with the EF 200mm nearly all came out as i wanted and could have no complaints.
                            Rang suppliers of the Sigma Lens and they are coming to collect the lens tomorrow and have sigma UK to have a look.
                            So many thanks for the tip as it looks like a lens problem and not a Camera problem.

Paul
                            Glad to be of service, Paul. My Bill's in the post

Hope Sigma sorts your problem lens once and for all

Mike

Comment

Just an update to this thread.

Had a phone call from WEX Lens now fixed and will be delivered today 30/11/11.(didn't say what the problem was)
                              So fingers crossed it will be OK, it's been a long 4 weeks wait so I'm a little nervous though i will have to wait till the weekend to give it a proper test with fast moving subjects.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X