7D RAW Soft focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D RAW Soft focus

I too have been having soft focus problems on my 7D.ever since I bought it about two years ago. It is only in images taken using full RAW that are soft, in fact it almost looks slightly out of focus. I have tried varius combinations including turning off most custom functions. In MRAW and jpeg the images are crisp. The camera has been back to Canon who say there is nothing wrong. I use only L series lenses, 24/105;100/400 and 100 is macro and on my other camera (60D) no problems at all. Has anyone else out there had similar problems using full RAW or have I just got a querky 7D?

Re: 7D RAW Soft focus

The camera has been back to Canon who say there is nothing wrong
    Do you think Canon are telling you lies ?

Trev

Comment

My 30D RAW images also look slightly soft until sharpened in post processing. If your j-peg shots are sharp this would indicate that the camera is functioning correctly. J-peg's will have preset sharpening in-camera, but the RAW shots have no sharpening applied.

Peter

Comment

For my twopence worth. Have you tried turning off IS? I have found sometime IS can actually on occasion cause softer images. IS is expecting some movement from the camera so it can react. If in some situations you hold the camera still and I mean still at the moment of taking the picture I have found the IS sometimes reacts, particularly at higher shutter speeds and actually causes the picture to become softer. I am referring to 5D2, I have no experience with 7D.
        Also as all ready stated RAW images seem softer out of the camera with Canon than other makes.
        Good Luck
        Treff

Comment

If the image stabiliser was causing this I would have thought the JPEG images would also be soft, especially as I have used full RAW +JPEG

Comment

Can you tell us the info on a soft file? - ctrl+I in DPP
            ef-r

Comment

mRaw is definitely sharper - but there is a technical reason for that - it is sharper in mine too and probably everyone elses
              ef-r

Comment

I have no problem using MRAW in most cases, but I was taking somebird photos last week and the image was only filling the centre area, so a lot of cropping was needed and full RAW would give me a good image I took both Full and MRAW shots and the full were useless, the MRAW were OK but the image would only be good enough up A4. Have to part exchange the wife and dog and save for the new D1x

Comment

I'm of the impression all RAW files require sharpening to some extent, so if your jpgs are fine then it's just your settings for RAW processing that need tweaking.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

In the jpeg mode the camera is doing a lot of work. The algorithms are sharpening the image to some extent even when set to 0. You are driving a very sophisticated computer. If I dare mention N.k.n the images that are being recorded even in raw are sharper coming out of the camera simply because the firmware is doing more work on them. Canon on the other hand leave most of the work to the photographer. There are myriad things to consider. It can make one a little despondent when things do not come together. I would start by setting the camera on a tripod and going through various experiments to see what is really going on with the focus. Use a shutter release and try to get best shutter speed. Use different apertures and settings on the camera. Don't rush take a couple of days.
                    Good luck
                    Cheers
                    Treff

Comment

So if you take a picture with the image saved as RAW and best quality JPEG are you saying the RAW looks flat and the JPEG looks sharp?

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                        So if you take a picture with the image saved as RAW and best quality JPEG are you saying the RAW looks flat and the JPEG looks sharp?
                        Doesn't make sense as the jpeg is derived from the RAW inside the camera. Must be the pp not being right
                        ef-r

Comment

The camera has been back to Canon who say there is nothing wrong
                          Nothing wrong means working within the specifications.

I have had the same problem (if it is a problem) with my 3 month old Canon 7D since switching to RAW files but mainly when using the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens.
                          (see my post HERE)
                          Also take a look at THIS post.
                          I have recently taken my camera and 4 "L" lenses to Canon for calibration.
                          I have not as yet field tested since calibration but will hopefully post results within the next two weeks.
                          My 30D RAW images also look slightly soft until sharpened in post processing. If your j-peg shots are sharp this would indicate that the camera is functioning correctly. J-peg's will have preset sharpening in-camera, but the RAW shots have no sharpening applied.
                          I have also recently started using Canon's DPP software which makes a big difference when post-processing RAW files.
                          I used to only save in jpg and let the camera do all the processing, I have only been using RAW since purchasing my second 7D camera.
                          It is all a learning curve.

Comment

Stephen - if the jpegs are sharp then there is nothing wrong with the camera or the RAW files
                            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                              Stephen - if the jpegs are sharp then there is nothing wrong with the camera or the RAW files
                              I agree Brian, my problem was at the long end of the 70-200mm lens, now calibrated that should be resolved. A good field test will hopefully reflect that.

Comment

Working...
                              X