Will these lenses do justice on a EOS 60D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will these lenses do justice on a EOS 60D

I've just read on another forum that the lens I use on my 400D may not give better pics when used on a 60D.
    My lenses are as follows:
    Canon Zoom Lens EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II
    Canon Zoom Lens EFS 17-85mm 1:4.5-5.6 IS USM Macro 0.35m/1.2ft 67mm
    Canon Zoom Lens EF 85-200mm 1:4.5-5.5 II
    Sigma APO DG 70-300mm 1.4-5.6
    I think I have given all the information on the lenses.
    Any thoughts please, will they do a 60D justice when I buy one or to get better results would I have to replace them?
    Last edited by micknew; 02-11-2011, 21:09.

Re: Will these lenses do justice on a EOS 60D

Hi Mick, welcome to the forum.

You don't really know how those lenses will perform on the Canon 60D until you actually try them.
    All 4 lenses may perform well then again you may be disappointed in one or more.
    Try them first.

Comment

Thank you for the reply Stephen.
      The article I read seemed to suggest that unless you have really high spec lenses you would not see any improvement in picture quality.
      I find that hard to believe, was it right.
      Thanks, Mick.

Comment

The 17-85 should be OK - it is a current kit lens
        The 18-55 is the non IS which doesn't get good reviews
        The 85-200 was n't that good to start with

Dont know anything about the Sigma.

You will get better pictures on the 60D than the 400D - if for no other reason than the increase in pixels.
        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          You will get better pictures on the 60D than the 400D - if for no other reason than the increase in pixels.
          ...better noise handling, newer processor, better sensor and uprated lighting and focusing algorithms.

Better lenses will help to unlock all of that, but you will still see an improvement over what you have at the moment.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by micknew View Post
            Thank you for the reply Stephen.
            The article I read seemed to suggest that unless you have really high spec lenses you would not see any improvement in picture quality.
            I find that hard to believe, was it right.
            Thanks, Mick.
            As cameras improve and pixels count get even greater then "they say" you need a better quality lens.
            "They" whoever they are, say that the 7D demands quality lenses to get the most out of the camera.
            I would treat this as tongue-in-cheek but the message is there.
            The Canon 60D is an 18MP camera, as is the 7D, that is a lot of pixels and therefore a lot of detail.
            Better quality lenses will therefore produce images with better IQ.
            Modern lenses such as the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens will (in theory) be better than say the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II kit lens and the retail price reflects this (£400 price difference).
            Even the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is not a bad lens, the center resolution is pretty good, borders can appear a little softer.
            The EF-S 17-85mm in your kit will probably be a keeper and is already an upgrade from your EF-S 18-55mm.
            I have not heard of the 28-200mm lens but suspect that one was replaced by the popular EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens which itself has been upgraded to version II.
            I used to own the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO macro lens a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised at the image quality with that lens but the dedicated Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II is now a better lens than the Sigma.

As I previously said; You don't really know how those lenses will perform on the Canon 60D until you actually try them.

This is only my opinion and other members will no doubt have better knowledge/advice than myself.
            I hope my thoughts are useful.
            Good luck with your purchase of the Canon 60D, some great reviews on that camera.

Comment

Working...
            X