1Dmk3 V 7D ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1Dmk3 V 7D ?

Awe... just when I ws totally happy with my kit I've just been offered a low mileage 1Dmk3 in perfect condtion for £1,200 by someone I know very well.

I've just gotten used to the 18mpix of the 7D and so I have some misgivings about going back to an 'older tech', 10mp camera.
    Are there any features that make this a sensible upgrade. Build quality and the 2 extra FPS are not important to me.

Should I get this camera - it would mean selling my 7D ?

Trev

Re: 1Dmk3 V 7D ?

Hi Trev
    As you my know i sold my 7D and got myself an EOS 1D MK III,
    Image quality is superb and think it would give the 5D MK II a run for its money.Would i go back to the 7D NO, though there are a few things i miss about the 7D Mainly been able to change all the focus points and focus tracking, as the 1D seems quite basic compered to all the options you get with the 7D there's always swings and roundabouts as they say. Another plus for the 1D is the file size are smaller so makes uploads and crunching all that data a bit quicker.Feels really good with a big lens attached but looks lost with nifty fifty LOL. I feel as though I've upgraded even though it only has 10mp it makes every one work its best.The choice has to be yours as we all have different needs for the cameras we use but I'm more than happy i made the change.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul, there is a very good possibility of me getting to try the Mk3 unsupervised.
      I like the idea of the flash compensation levels being visible in the viewfinder, the vertical grip buttons, and the maybe 1.3 crop giving me bit extra width on my 24-70

I know what you mean about the 7D file sizes, I had to shell out for a new computer in the end.
      In addition to that, no-one I deal with wanted circa 10MB jpegs, I imagine it's the same with HU17 ?

Trev

Comment

there is a very good possibility of me getting to try the Mk3 unsupervised.
        Hi Trev
        Good idea to give it a good workout, get them images uploaded and see the great detail you get in your shots. have a look at the serial No make sure it starts 55***** or above, If lower ask if its had the mirror fixed you,ll know as they put a small blue dot inside the battery compartment it will be visible next to the 12 gold ones if it's been sent back to canon for repair.

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I am not sure there is always that dot inside battery compartment if it comes with the box a Blue or Cream dot means it has no focus issues..
          Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

File size on the 7D is NOT an issue. Just shoot on mRAW (10mb) and you also get sharper images. I also do the same with the 5DII - with the same result.

Realistically you only need all the pixels if you want to crop - perhaps when shooting wildlife.
            ef-r

Comment

Thanks for that info Paul and Daniel you have saved me a job having to research what to check, I'm getting it tomorrow morning, until sunday.

Trev

Comment

Turned out this camera was a later production one. It felt great to use, I aganosied for a few hours and decided not to get the mk3.
                Felt bad about not buying the camera - so I took one of his L lenses off his hands.
                He's moving to nikon, dunno why, cos he only takes pix in the summer and that's only once a fortnight LOL

Trev

Comment

I'm seriously thinking of going in the other direction - swapping my 1D3 for a 7D.
                  I feel that I don't use the 1D3 enough to warrant owning it.
                  I really like the 1D3 - just the sound of the shutter tripping is orgasmic.

I think the 7D would suit my needs better and I would probably use it more.
                  The 1.6 sensor and 8fps would be ideal for my wildlife shots.

Mike
                  www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Working...
                  X