Sony ff a900 to Canon 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony ff a900 to Canon 7D

Brief summery: for the last few years I was just a Sony / Minolta user, I climbed the ranks through the crop sensor's up to the full frame a900, coupled with the 24-70 and the 70-400 and I loved them all.

Then early into the racing season this year I started to question why! why is it that the majority of motor sports photographers use Canon or Nikon? there must be a reason other than it's what they started out with - I continued to shoot the racing with the 900 and mainly the 70-400 and had a pretty good hit rate, shooting only in RAW - all the while checking out other tog's sites for comparisons etc.

What I noticed most was the sharpness at lower shutter speeds and the brighter colours mainly from the Canon boys and girls, surely this wasn't just down to post processing? So in early August I just said 'sod it' and shot out at lunchtime armed with my plastic friend and bought a complete replacement system - 7D / 24-105 / 100-400 / Tamron 90 and the 580 flash. . . . . once I got home that evening (and the panic had subsided) I set about scouring the net for the best 'base settings' for the camera - the menu of the Canon system is mind boggling compared to the Sony - shot a few test shots at home and thought "what the hell have I done" . . . checked the calender for Brands Hatch - great some racing is on, after a couple of hours shooting and tweeking the settings I sat down to see how many keepers I had, RESULT - half the amount of time spent in PhotoShop with just about every shot brighter / cleaner, so the Sony kit went up for sale on fleabay and I sold the lot with a couple hundred quid left over for spare batteries etc.

One other major factor that I didn't mention above - I realised that if I was away at a circuit anywhere in the UK and something unexpected happened - dropped or damaged kit (trackside is a very unforgiving place) with the Canon I could jump in the car and go into the nearest town with a camera store and 99% of the time I could pick up a replacement where as with the Sony gear . . . . I even had to order a flash unit as next to no one stocks any of the high end kit. I admit I do miss the 25mp full frame and there are still times I wonder if I did the right thing but the decision has been made so here I am. . . . learning all over again.

I don't know if there was really any point to this posting other than to explain why I did what I did. The 7D is without a doubt a phenomenal bit of kit especially for sports / action and I kinda wish I had jumped sooner.

Thanks for reading this inane drivel, you can wake up now

.DAVID.

Can't believe I forgot the biggest 'improvement' - the AF on the 7D is far superior in both speed of lock and accuracy.
    Last edited by David Stallard; 07-11-2011, 08:31.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: Sony ff a900 to Canon 7D

ZZzzzzzZZZzzz! Can I wake up now?
    I am glad that you are pleased with your new CANON kit.
    My original kit was a Pentax *ist camera, which I loved, and then sold and upgraded to the Pentax K10 which I absolutely hated.
    I sold the Pentax K10 after just a few weeks and bought the Canon 40D. The Canon 40D soon became a Canon 5D mkII and a Canon 7D plus "L" lenses.
    There is no going back, just more Canon kit.

Comment

Get youself a second 7D and stick a large white on it - a 300 f/2.8IS or 400 f/2.8IS or 500 F4/IS and get another leap in quality

Note: yet another happy 7D owner :)
      ef-r

Comment

Hello David

Many have come through the same route, though perhaps not quite so eloquently. I understand that when SONY bought and re-badged Minolta, they offered very high incentives to Camera shops and sales staff within those shops to gain market penetration.

Amongst pro's, the camera is a tool to earn your living. It needs to pay the mortgage and keep the bank manager happy. The more you spend on equipment, the less is in the profit column, so you don't pay over the odds without some good reason. Fashion and "male Jewelry" have no place in the professional world where nobody cares about your equipment ................. only your results.

As a non pro, you may wish to take into consideration that their equipment is going to take more of a hammering than we can give it and still continue to perform. If you need (want) that reliability and quality, you couldn't do much worse than seeing what the pro's are using.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Colin - agree, when Sony first bought Minolta they were really throwing another choice to the masses, great line up of glass available with being able to use any of the Minolta line up and with the image stabalisation being in the body it seemed perfect.

However the last couple of years Sony seem to be aiming more towards the 'soccer mom' with it's line up and less towards the pro end, still on the fence where the SLT (translucent mirror) is concerned but the total lack of store stock was one of the biggest things for me.

Time will tell I guess - as for the 7D. . . . it does everything I need at the moment, I usually shoot around 2000 > 3000 shot's over a race weekend (all raw) so roll on next season and let's see if it's up to the job.

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
          X