Auto ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto ISO

During a recent foray to photograph a horse event, cross country, I ended up with some disappointing images, mostly blurred.

I'm still learning so I studied the manual for my camera EOS 5d Mk11 and 24-105mm, and I think I've worked out what I was doing wrong!

I failed to increase the ISO above 400 in the dull overcast conditions, so the F4.0 lens struggled to cope with 125 or 250 shutter speed. It wanted to shoot at 60 or 30!

If I set the ISO to 'auto' and the Tv (shutter speed) to 250 to counter camera shake, the camera will keep the F4.0 aperture I presume?

Can I adjust the aperture to increase my depth of field? Should I switch to Ev (exposure priority) and auto ISO?

As you can see, I'm a little confused. Perhaps I'm asking the impossible, dull, overcast shy and sharp images with an F4.0 lens at reasonable quick shutter speed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Re: Auto ISO

I use Auto Iso quite a lot on my 5D2 especially when using my 100-400L
    I always have my camera set to Av and Auto ISO will select an ISO that will in turn select a shutter speed fast enough for me to hand hold.
    TBH, I've never tried it in Tv.

Many a time I have forgotten to cancel the Auto ISO when shooting landscapes with the camera tripod mounted resulting in a landscape shot at ISO 3200.
    With the 5D2 its still possible to get clean shots at that high ISO setting.

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

AV and Auto ISO is the way to go if you are in any doubt about enough light to keep the shutter speed high enough

I would like to see a mode (perhaps semi Manual) where you set the shutter speed and exposure and the camera sets the iso for you.

Brian
      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post

I would like to see a mode (perhaps semi Manual) where you set the shutter speed and exposure and the camera sets the iso for you.

Brian
        I think that was what I was dreaming Brian, but Av and auto ISO will be my next experiment day thanks.
        The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
          I use Auto Iso quite a lot on my 5D2 especially when using my 100-400L
          I always have my camera set to Av and Auto ISO will select an ISO that will in turn select a shutter speed fast enough for me to hand hold.
          TBH, I've never tried it in Tv.

Many a time I have forgotten to cancel the Auto ISO when shooting landscapes with the camera tripod mounted resulting in a landscape shot at ISO 3200.
          With the 5D2 its still possible to get clean shots at that high ISO setting.

Mike
          Yes, I think I'm stuck in the film days, ASA400 was very grainy, i need to have more confidence with the high ISO of the 5D, and lose the blurred effects!

Comment

On the 5DII, iso1600 is pretty much noise free in reasonable light. I shoot at this without fear
            ef-r

Comment

I have used it on my P****x where you gan set upper and lower limits, but I cannot work out how to do similar on the 7D.
              Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

The limits are on p63 of the manual

100-3200 except:

B - fixed 400
                Flash - fixed 400
                ef-r

Comment

AV and Auto ISO is the way to go if you are in any doubt about enough light to keep the shutter speed high enough

Brian
                  You can do this in Custom Functions, You have to limit your Aperture to what you want to use, and do the same with your shutter speed. Then only your ISO changes!

Papa.

Comment

I can't see that in the 7D manual - have you a reference please?

Brian
                    ef-r

Comment

I can't see that in the 7D manual - have you a reference please?

Brian
                      On the Mark 3 and Mark 4, go to C.FN 1: Exposure! Then look at Numbers 12 and 13, this is where you set your min and max Aperture and Shutter. Then still in that C.FN 1: Exposure, go to number 8 and enable Safety shift Number 2 = (iso speed) I am pretty sure you could also do this with the 7D, I use it for BIF using AI Servo, Back Button AF! it seems fiddly but once set up save it in your settings on the camera, and keep a copy on your Computer in case you format your card, forgetting it's there!

Papa.

Comment

I have looked for the settings you mention and they are not avalable for the 7D or the 5DII
                        ef-r

Comment

I have looked for the settings you mention and they are not avalable for the 7D or the 5DII
                          I haven't read this fully but it should all be there, if not I will ring a friend tonight who has a 7D, http://www.dpreview.com/articles/020...for-canon-slrs

If you get get it sorted by this evening do a post, save me disturbing a friend.

Papa.

Comment

Many thanks Papa - it had never occured to me that M with Auto ISO would work like that: Just put it on M and Auto ISO and it does the metering.

Just have to watch for too much light and not do it with flash.

Many thanks - that will make things easier for me!!

Unfortunately the 7D doesn't have the custom function you mentioned - see here
                            ef-r

Comment

Manual is the way to go - you can control AV and TV, not just one or the other.
                              In over simplified terms, the ISO is used to "centre the meter" the same way shutterspeed is used in AV mode.
                              If the camera gives you an ISO you're not comforable with set a longer shutter or faster/wider aperture, if available on your lens.

Sometimes shooting like this is so easy, it feels like it's cheating :-)

Trev

Comment

Working...
                              X