Shutter speed advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutter speed advice

I was out photographing a mountain biker race this morning but even in manaul mode i couldn`t get the shutter speed above 500, i have a canon 1000d and am sure i`ve had at 4000 before , can anyone help?

Re: Shutter speed advice

For a faster shutter speed, increase the ISO or use a wider aperture.

Trev

Comment

That`s what i did but it made no difference , my max aperture was f4 and 1600iso but 500 was as far as it would go , very confused

Comment

What is the problem, are your pics blurry ?

Trev

Comment

Were you using a flash? That may limit the maximum shutter speed, although that is usually 1/250 sec or there-abouts.

Comment

No they were pretty good but not being able to up the speed is a bit confusing

Comment

No flash used

Comment

In manual you can set any shutter speed you like to 1/4000th in your case

I think what you're saying is that with your max widest aperture, and highest iso the meter was indicating under exposure when you went faster than 1/500 ??

Trev
                Last edited by Trevoreast; 13-11-2011, 17:35.

Comment

No it wasn't that the exsposure was an issue, just that I can't set a speed higher than 500 no matter what I try

Comment

If you were in manual and you couldn't set any shutter speed you want within your cameras limitations - then I haven't got a clue, sorry.

Trev

Comment

That makes two of us, I'll get the manual out and see what it says

Comment

When you switch your Camera on make sure it is fully on, (on switch as far as it will go) If you were in Aperture mode for example and the on switch only clicks once, you cannot change Aperture value's, this might be the case in Shutter Mode?

Papa.

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that there may be some kind of settings lock, on some cameras on the ON/ OFF switch.
                          I think is a 'lock' postion in between on and off
                          Relatively easy to accidentally initiate, apart from that long shot I'm out of ideas :-)

Comment

Ah an almost duplicate of Papa's post, but you say manual, not shutter priority.

There's one way to find out, put your camera in manual and try it now :-)

Trev

Comment

Since this morning the camera fairies have been in and sorted it out, no idea why but glad it's happened???

Comment

Working...
                              X