End of the line for EOS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of the line for EOS!

Are Canon running out of names for EOS models. We have had the EOS 5D 5DII, 5DIII and a 1D, 1Ds, 1DII, 1DsII, 1DIII and 1DsIII. Where is it all going to end? How about a 1DsMCLXXVII? No! It has to end somewhere, and I think it'll be sometime soon.

It would make sense if Canon were to start afresh with brand new model range, that still uses the EF lenses, but has a face lift and a new feature set. Timing wise, it would make sense too, coming out of a recession.
    Dave

Re: End of the line for EOS!

Before we get all fired up about camera names... what about car names? We all know that products made in the East are often great, but when it comes to naming them there seems to be a cultural gulf in understanding. I mean to say, who wants A Nissan Note, Pixo, Qashqai, or Navara? Image yourself at a party sipping Hawkes Bay, and some lush asks you that inevitable question "So, what car do you drive, mate?" and you whisper back "Actually, I just bought myself a Proton Satria Neo... but the wife likes it as she can fit all the kids/dogs into it."

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Proton Satria Neo

No, I don't think Canon have a problem at all.

Comment

And who in France would buy a car called an MR2 (pronounced Em-air-deux)
      Obviously a crap car.....

M:)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        Are Canon running out of names for EOS models. We have had the EOS 5D 5DII, 5DIII and a 1D, 1Ds, 1DII, 1DsII, 1DIII and 1DsIII. Where is it all going to end? How about a 1DsMCLXXVII? No! It has to end somewhere, and I think it'll be sometime soon.

It would make sense if Canon were to start afresh with brand new model range, that still uses the EF lenses, but has a face lift and a new feature set. Timing wise, it would make sense too, coming out of a recession.
        What's wrong with EOS 5Da, 5Db, 5Dc etc followed by 5DaII, 5DbII, 5DcII etc. etc.
        Then we could also have a EOS B range and an EOS C range etc. etc.
        The range/s is/are endless.
        John

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
          Before we get all fired up about camera names... what about car names? ....ll.
          I drive a 3 and my mobile phone contract is with 3. I did use an EOS 3 and I am youngish, 3 and single

Bob
          Bob Turner
          Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

This is a hardy chestnut in the field of world-wide products. There are stories from Rolls Royce motor cars where if the english name of its models are translated literally into a foreign language that word in the foreign language has a double-entendre.

And anyrate..what sort of name is a 'Rebel'?

Have you noticed how many car manufacturers are moving to the safe bets? BMW320, Citreon C5 (even that falls over in UK...sorry Sinclair) , Audi A4, Rover 75.....Beoing 747..any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
              I drive a 3 and my mobile phone contract is with 3. I did use an EOS 3 and I am youngish, 3 and single

Bob
              Rubbish. I'm 57 and I eat baked beans...

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
                Rubbish. I'm 57 and I eat baked beans...
                I'm lost – how do baked beans come into it? Go well with an HB red though!
                Dave

Comment

I'm lost – how do baked beans come into it? Go well with an HB red though!
                  We are all lost, man...

Heinz 57 baked beans. I'll let you get back to the Merlot.

Comment

Dave

I guess this is an issue for all manufacturers of market segment/series based products. A company in a similar position I guess will be:http://www.peugeot.co.uk/Showrooms/ModelRange/
                    I'm sure a 309 isn't far off - what then 310 ? etc - which model will break the x0x "mould"? And what about BMW X (3,5,9) range and Audi Q (5,7) range - I guess the Eco argument will address these before these 4x4 platforms cause a headache for the marketing depts!

With Canon I guess the "pressure" is more acute because of the short life cycle of each product - however, marketing people are paid princely somes in these global corporates to manage their product family, and they will (should) be planning a solution well in advance.

I find it more interesting to see how they manage these issues, than concern myself over what the next model will be called - it'll be out of fashion within six-twelve months anyways!

From a relatively satisfied owner of a "vintage" 30D from 2007! Talking of which when's the 60D out?! When the time comes I'm sure my photographic skills will still not outstrip the capable technology in my humble 30D!!

Kind Regards
                    Julian

Comment

Many moons ago I had a 35mm T70 and Canon only brought out the following models before moving on- T50, T60 ,T70,T80 and T90. It appears that Canon have always followed this trend for naming their cameras? I agree with Johnatj with his suggestion as this is a far simpler way of naming the models.

Comment

Originally posted by FeimouP View Post
                        Many moons ago I had a 35mm T70 and Canon only brought out the following models before moving on- T50, T60 ,T70,T80 and T90. It appears that Canon have always followed this trend for naming their cameras? I agree with Johnatj with his suggestion as this is a far simpler way of naming the models.
                        Are we not running out of numbers in the EOS Range? Once we see the EOS3D we'll have used up all the numerals Canon historically likes to use.
                        Dave

Comment

Peugeot 309 is an ancient model so won't be reappearing any time soon!

Comment

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. I don't care what they call it. I just love Canon cameras.

Howard

Comment

Are Canon running out of names for EOS models. We have had the EOS 5D 5DII, 5DIII .

5DIII??? Have I missed something?

Icidentally, I traded in my wife1 for my wife 2 (live-in lover actually) and REALLY can't afford to upgrade again.
                              www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X