1D4 oil splashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1D4 oil splashes

About 6 months ago I traded up from a 7D to a 1D4. Recently I have been noticing issues with oil spots or splashes across the sensor. After cleaning it's not a problem but cleaning isn't cheap. I've been paying close attention to this and now seem to see a direct link between oil spots and 10 fps shooting sessions. Normally I'd use the low continuous mode but when shooting BIF and action 10 fps is required (just as I used to on my 7D at 7/8 fps). However, this appears to lead directly to oil spots so I can only assume that they're splashes.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any solution other than timely and expensive cleaning?
    Mark

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 17-40mm L, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 IS L, Canon EF 70-200mm f4 IS L, Canon EF 500mm f4 IS L, Canon EF 1.4x Extender II, Canon EF 2.0x Extender III, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Canon Speedlite 420EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markgsm...956203/detail/
    http://www.marksmithphotography.net/

Re: 1D4 oil splashes

Mark,

If your 1D IV is only 6 months old, it should be replaced or repaired by the retailer or sent to Canon for a warranty repair. Are you a member of CPS? If yes, it will assist with a fast turnaround.
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

It was an issue with the 1D3 1D3 Oil Splashes.

Remember as a CPS member you get one sensor clean for free.

Comment

Nothing on mine yet. It has only taken about two thousand clicks though.
        Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Nothing to get too worried about. Oil is used to lubricate the shutter and mirror box mechanism and during early use, or early use of 10 fps, you may get a few oil spots on the anti-alias filter in front of the sensor. This is the main reason why you get a free sensor clean under warranty.

I had it on my MKIII and MKIV and on each body I cleaned the sensor a couple of times until it settled down, then got my free Canon clean. I must stress that we are only talking the mearest pinpricks, that only show up at all when the lens is well stopped down.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

I find it hard to believe that they still use oil on cameras. By it's nature it does not las very long. I would have thought they would use PTFE bushes or similar.
            Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

It's a pity they don't use Castrol-R in the mechanism ... at 10fps the smell would be heavenly

Comment

Working...
              X