X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film cameras are not dead!

Another 17% user.
    I have a 300D & 50E.
    The 300D is like most Digitals I feel - Convenient.
    I use 3 or 4 times a year use the 50E.
    The sound is better the Quality cannot be beaten.

Having recently converted to a iMac - i am now slowly converting my Slides etc to digital - Reason - if i dont scan them - i wont view them.
    lazy I know.

Result - Just Enjoy The Media you like.

Comment

Originally posted by expose4 View Post
      In also have the EOS5 and wish they would put the eye focus on the digital models too.
      I still use one of these and an old pentax spotmatic.

Comment

Another EOS5 owner, shame about the eye focus though, I always thought it was a great idea - along with that self closing flash.

Comment

Another 17%-er here. I'm still using my EOS 5 & EOS 50E.
          The eye-focus is also one of my favourite facilities, especially with the EOS 50E being able to do both horizontal and vertical eye-focusing. To that end, I'm tempted to go for an EOS 3.
          Digitally, I'm using a 350D which is fine and will eventually upgrade, but the key word so far with digital, for me, is as CliveH mentioned -- convenience. Not to mention the absence of film processing costs!
          Digital: EOS 40D | Canon 17-85mm IS | Tamron DiII 55-200mm | Sunpak EZ42X flash |
          Film: EOS 5 | EOS 50E | EOS 50 | Canon 28-80mm | Canon 50mm mkII | Sigma 100-300mm | Sigma 24mm |
          Canon EZ540 flash | Cobra 700AF flash |
          Other: Slik 88n tripod | Manfrotto 679B monopod |

Comment

I still have my A1. I really don't use it very much at all. I still have a roll of film in it just in case. BTW a little kid asked me where the rear LCD was on it... Oh my gosh!

Howard

Comment

Yes, people are surprised when you can't show them the results instantly! People cant believe that my 1N RS is not a pro digital camera.
              www.garywhite-photography.com
              Gary White, MPhil
              Travel Photographer

Comment

It's surprising how many people are still using EOS 3 and 5 film cameras apart from all the other versions of Canon EOS. I have half of a film taken in my EOS 3 and am looking forward to revealing it in the near future to compare it with digital.

Fergie

Comment

The handling of these cameras is still superb.... fast and responsive and excellent metering....
                  Gary White, MPhil
                  Travel Photographer

Comment

I also have an EOS 5, doesn't get used either. I think film has had it's day, everything is digital... TV, radio, cameras, camcorders, recorders, DVDs, CDs...
                    I think that if you have used film in the past, you learn more about lighting conditions, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, whether daylight film or tungsten, etc, etc,
                    With digital, no problem, fix it in photoshop!!!
                    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
                      I think that if you have used film in the past, you learn more about lighting conditions, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, whether daylight film or tungsten, etc, etc,
                      With digital, no problem, fix it in photoshop!!!
                      Can't really agree with you here. Although I prefer to use film I have great respect for those who master digital photography but to be a great digital photographer you need to know about light, aperture, wb etc. If it's not a great photograph to start with then photoshop won't make it great.

I love to use film, I prefer the look and feel of it and I use an EOS 3 and 5. I also have an AE1P that I shot a roll of film through the other week......sometimes it's nice to keep it really simple.

I also still have a Cambo 5x4 which I don't get to use often but one day when I have more time I'd love to try some landscapes with it and I dream of a Leica M6 :-)

I shoot more in B/W which might be why I still find film so appealing....you can't beat the look of grain.

Lizzy (who likes smilies and can't find them)

Comment

There's a whole generation now who haven't used film. Many of them are missing the basics, as a result....
                        Gary White, MPhil
                        Travel Photographer

Comment

I still have my EOS film cameras; 2 100's, a 10 and a 5, but haven't put a film through any of them in years! I could be tempted to shoot film, if I managed to get hold of a 3 in good nick for very little money. I nearly got one a few years ago, before I got my 10D (chopped in a Hassy 500cm to get it) I wasn't convinced about digital at the time; I won't part with the 10D now (even if it hasn't been used for a while.....)

;0)

Comment

Through the 70's I had a Zenit B, then a Pentax S1a followed by a Pentax Spotmatic F, then an Olympus OM1n.
                            In the early 80's I chopped in my OM1n and got my first Canon, the AE1 Program.

I remember thinking then that this 'new' do-it-all program setting might prevent people from learning all about aperture and shutter speed, etc., by not using the camera in manual.

Hmmm, something familiar there... ;)
                            Digital: EOS 40D | Canon 17-85mm IS | Tamron DiII 55-200mm | Sunpak EZ42X flash |
                            Film: EOS 5 | EOS 50E | EOS 50 | Canon 28-80mm | Canon 50mm mkII | Sigma 100-300mm | Sigma 24mm |
                            Canon EZ540 flash | Cobra 700AF flash |
                            Other: Slik 88n tripod | Manfrotto 679B monopod |

Comment

Very good article in this week's BJP about the history and demise of Kodachrome..
                              Gary White, MPhil
                              Travel Photographer

Comment

My folks bought me an OM10 in my early teens. Got in out of the locker earlier this year. By the power of E-BAY now have all the lenses I could not afford then. Also got a power winder. I have fired shotguns/rifles with less recoil and the noise. It's that Duran Duran track, Girls on Film!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X