Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 600 - What price when new?

Hi folks.

Firstly, as a 'newbie' I'll introduce myself. My name is David Chamberlain, I'm 62, short, fat n' ugly but, been dead keen on photography since age 15.

I've owned and used all sorts of cameras through my life and still maintain an interest not just in 'photography' but the tools of the trade also. A short while ago, I purchased a really nice condition Canon EOS 600 camera body and got to thinking about how much it might have cost to purchase brand new in it's day. Does anyone know the answer? I'm English, so answers in Great Britain Pounds please if anyone does recall.

I've just purchased a EF 35-80mm f/4-f/5.6 Ultrasonic lens for the camera but I'm guessing this might be a little later than the camera body itself. Works well though and seems to look and feel ok. If anyone does know the price of these new too, I would be interested. Mostly however, my curiosity is with the new price of the body.

Cheers.

Re: EOS 600 - What price when new?

The EOS 600 had a suggested selling price of £309.99 (body only), or £379.99 (with EF 50mm f1.8 lens) when it was introduced in 1989. Based on RPI, these prices equate to about £578 (body only) or £708 (with lens) today. The EOS 600 sold in the USA as the EOS 630.

The EF 35-80mm f4-5.6 USM lens was introduced in 1992 with a guide price of £109.99 (about £170 today).
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks for this Robert. I should perhaps be a little ashamed of myself really. In 1989 through to mid 1990, I managed a branch (1 of 5, all based in Kent) of 'Camera Gear' shops, owned by a great guy John Gear who sadly isn't with us anymore. I do recall selling this camera and I am pretty sure, also the 620, although I'm not at all sure how each of these cameras sit in the EOS range. I 'think' the 600 was the 'better' or more advanced of the two but I'm by no means certain.

I am very interested to learn about the american designation EOS 630 for what we know as the 600. I had until now thought this was a separate model in it's own right.

I'm actually quite impressed with the 600's spec, even by recent standards - 1/2000th sec top shutter speed, 5fps drive etc. It comes across to me almost as a 'semi-pro' high spec (but no frills) work-horse with extremely utilitarian look, feel and finish, particularly with the bare 'uncovered' body finish - very easy to simply 'wipe down' after a days work! I understand they produced the body in two colours, metalic grey and black. My one is metalic grey and I have to say, I don't recall 'ever' seeing a black one?

Thanks also for your help with the EF 35-80mm f/4-f/5.6 USM. It's nice to know I was correct at least, in assuming this was later than the body.

Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Hello Dave

The 620 was the better machine - I think? I have one myself, though never use it now.

The Image Plane
        Snapshots of Anything

Comment

Hi Undercrank,

Seems very confusing, this early EOS era? I've been informed a few times now, that the EOS 630 was the american designation for the UK EOS 600 but, where on earth does this theory sit the 600 in the running of early EOS cameras?!

Got to admit, I'm pretty well lost with this and I used to sell the damned things in 89-90!

Thanks for your information anyway. I think you're right in assuming the 630 being more advanced than the 600. The 600 only has a top shutter speed of 1/2000th but does have a 5fps drive and multiple exposure facility.

Regards,
          Dave

Comment

(Bizarre, perhaps, that my first post on the revitalised forum should be on the subject of something so retro. How very nerdy. Still that's the way it goes...)

The first EOS of all time was the 650, closely followed by the 620, apparently a better specified camera. As far as I remember the 600 was the third camera in the range.

Definately a step up from the 650 and 620 - faster autofocus, wind speed, and the first camera with creative zone modes - not that I used them.

I have no idea why it was badged the 630 in the USA, I think it was exactly the same camera. The idea was that the lower the model number, the higher the camera spec, I supoose the basic principle is true today, except Canon has zoned the range into thousand - hundred - tens and single digit model numbers. I suppose the 600 / 630 discrepancy was the first point at which the principle became inconsistant. For what it's worth, I never understood the point of the naming of cameras for the non European market - Elan? Kiss? what nonsense!

I have original sales brochures for most of the EOS range and if anyone cares, and if I can be bothered, I'll scan and post them sometime. A 'helpful' sales assistant has written on my 600 brochure what the price was circa 1990.

Cheers
            Ric

Comment

You can take a fabulous photograph with a compact.

It's not the camera but who is taking it.

My first SLR was a canon 600 then 600RT.Both were capable of great photographs with a feast of features especially the "continuous focussing". Amazing in those days!

Comment

Working...
              X