Film cameras dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film cameras dead?

I have been i the darkroom many time and seen the skill my mates have but i myselfe could not match them.
    There was a print then there is a great print, i did a print they did a great print.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
    Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
    Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Hello everyone.

I see that even in England, the problem of analog photography is suffering the same malaise.

I agree with those who say that the strategists of the big companies that make cameras, they have transformed the international market, but in my opinion, and though the development costs for a roll of 35mm slides in Italy has now come to € 9, the film still has many years of life to live.

Canon still produces the fabulous EOS 1V HS, a superb camera and I do not think that involves a production line of that type, to no avail. Certainly it is difficult to find on the market, at least here in Italy, but in the U.S. and most of Europe you can find the new factory.

Here in Italy, unfortunately, the market is going down the slides, but the market continues to work well in black and white film, and just today I learned from my seller that Fuji will not stop production, but wait, before you start to produce new films , to empty warehouses that nowadays are emptied more slowly.

We'll see how it will end this story.

Regards.

Marco :-)

Comment

I never understood this film vs. digital debate. A craftsman will always produce better work, no matter what tools he uses. Give me a Stradivarius and I will sound horrid compared to a competent player with a toy fiddle missing a string.

The film camera is as dead as the LP. It lives on as a niche for those that have the time, patience, budget and geekness to appreciate it. I used a film SLR until I bought the 350D in 2006. One of my favourite photos is a black and white one I took of my wife. I developed and printed it myself. I still carry it in my wallet. Still, I don't miss film one bit. The instand feedback of digital tought me more than all the books I ever read. I am now able to shoot more photos, increasing the chance to get that one special image.

Many will indeed use their cameras in auto mode and photoshop them until they look reasonable. That's their choice. I try to create the perfect shot in the camera, only tweaking colours on the computer. No different from what we did in to old days.

When I see the photo below, shot on a 60D, I don't see a digital image. I see an image that could have come from the 50s, 60s or any decade, really. What makes it special, for me at least, are the shadows, tones, the expressions on their faces. The media it was shot on is irrelevant. Kodak would have done it just as well, if I'd had the skill and luck.
        myTube
        Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
        Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

Film cameras are not dead!

My daughter is looking at a photography course for one of her A levels, and the first year is film only, no digital. They'll only start looking at digital once the students have shown proficiency in film!

Interesting! Although it does mean I might be looking for recommendations for 35mm film cameras on here soon!

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
            Although it does mean I might be looking for recommendations for 35mm film cameras on here soon! .
            Mike, I'd go for anything but a Canon - then your daughter won't be able to 'borrow' your lenses LOL

Trev

Comment

flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                Film cameras are not dead!

My daughter is looking at a photography course for one of her A levels, and the first year is film only, no digital. They'll only start looking at digital once the students have shown proficiency in film!

Interesting! Although it does mean I might be looking for recommendations for 35mm film cameras on here soon!

All the best, Mike.

If you end up looking for a 35mm camera you should be able yo pick up the EOS 1 & EOS 3 at a good price. Have a look at Mifsuds pre-owned section.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Hmmm.

I have an EOS 1N with the battery pack to make it an EOS 1N HS, sat on the shelf doing nothing. I have kept putting the odd roll of slides through it to keep it alive, but as I ran out of slide film a few months ago, it is now idle.

If the weight of a 1 series isn't likely to be a problem for her, give me a PM before you eventually buy. It's too good a camera not to be used.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

A cheap entry level EOS SLR and a expensive one, both loaded with the same film and the same lens mounted. Which would yeild the best IQ ?
                    All things being equal; on shooting.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                      A cheap entry level EOS SLR and a expensive one, both loaded with the same film and the same lens mounted. Which would yeild the best IQ ?
                      All things being equal; on shooting.

Trev
                      Trev - is that a question? If so (and assuming the two cameras yield the same exposure settings and you get the [manual] focus set spot on or AF does it correctly) then I'd say the results would be identical (let's assume also that processing was done correctly). I ran Pro grade and amateur grade bodies back in the silver days ... and it was the lens that was the most important component for me. Mind you a pro grade body would take a lot more wellie.

One of my fellow walkers normally brings an old Noink SLR (an FE I think) on rambles but last time he had a Canon A1 (which was one of the many Canons I owned). He still gets his film from Tesco of all places.

Comment

I think film cameras are definitely "dead". As one of the last EOS film camera users who stuck to film until about 18 months ago, I will never go back to it. I find the DSLR's far more convenient & better , with instant review facilities, plus all other "computer" based facilities, that one must move on with technology. Other wise we would still be in the "quill & ink bottle" stage.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat - there's an interesting Paradox. Whilst Digital is easier etc ... a lot of people I know don't have a computer (and wouldn't know what to do with one if they had). Those that have a digital camera just take the card (well actually the camera) to 'Boots' and get all the images printed on 6x4. There are many folk that can't even 'understand' Digital ... and prefer the 35mm job they've had for 30 or more years. Many of these people still don't have a mobile 'phone. My dear old mum (in her late 80's) and still active, does have a computer and mobile (and knows how to use them) ... but tells me that in her village a lot of the older folk (and a chunk of middle years people as well) just don't get 'Digital'. Be it camera, telephone, computer, clock ....

Comment

Yes, I cannot agree with you more, MX5. I am glad I'm a bit better than most. Congrats to your mum. She must be a "whizz".
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              Yes, I cannot agree with you more, MX5. I am glad I'm a bit better than most. Congrats to your mum. She must be a "whizz".
                              I'm guessing that's where my liking of logic, maths, science, .... it's in the genes. She took up the computer challenge in the early 1980's when the BBC launched its Model B. [I've been using then since the 1960's.]

Comment

Personally I think that film photography will stay around for those that want to make film photography an art. Just like pen and ink and calligraphy is a craft.
                                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X