Film cameras dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Film cameras dead?

LOL It's 'only' £9K (body only) and many class it as not very versatile.

Trev

Comment

I am more than happy with 21mp as it gives me the ability to A3 print natively which is all I want. The Noink D800 with its 36mp sounds good - as you would expect all modern cameras to be.

The 36mp is not a dealmaker to me, but the linked AF point metering of the series 1 is.

It is interesting that top of the Noink range D4 is 'only' 16mp
      Last edited by briansquibb; 18-04-2012, 16:09.
      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
        I am more than happy with 21mp as it gives me the ability to A3 print natively which is all I want. The Noink D800 with its 36mp sounds good - as you would expect all modern cameras to be.

The 36mp is not a dealmaker to me, but the linked AF point metering of the series 1 is.

It is interesting that top of the Noink range D4 is 'only' 16mp
        Isn't that moving towards a Canon V Nikon type conversation ? I think you would need a new thread for that. :-)

Comment

Wasn't intending a Canon v Nikon - just saying that the top of the range cameras having 16mp (Nikon) and 18mp (Canon) so I suspect it will take another year or two before 30+mp becomes the norm.

Personally I am not into brand rivallry - they have to be good cameras to survive in the marketplace. There has to be some differentiation between their products, but it would have to be a major deal maker to make me swap because of the investment I have made in shooting with Canon equipment (such as lens, software etc)
          ef-r

Comment

Have to say that the Nokin 800 appears to be more substantial upgrade than the 5D3 is from the 5D2

Mike
            www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
              Have to say that the Nokin 800 appears to be more substantial upgrade than the 5D3 is from the 5D2

Mike
              Different type of cameras. Nikon are going for the high mp now with the introduction of the entry level D3200 and 24mp from a crop

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...-body/p1530654

I am not sure of the benefits of going above 22/24mp as at this level you can print a full A3 natively. FPS starts to get impacted as the image size gets larger.

This is where the people that do need huge images (and not worried about 1fps) start using MF with both film and digital
              ef-r

Comment

Hmmm life seemed so simple, I was going to get full frame, a 5Dmk2

Now I'm in dithering, undecided mode, you can't really ignore the d800, that's for sure.

Trev

Comment

I suspect (in a 12 month time frame) that Canon will produce something similar ... there is a price point between the 5D2 and 1DX where it might sit.

.... then it'll be a digital back for that nice Ebony 5x4" camera ;-)

Comment

I suspect (in a 12 month time frame) that Canon will produce something similar ... there is a price point between the 5D2 and 1DX where it might sit.
                    I think you're right, there will always be a newer, betterer camera along in the next few months.

Trev

Comment

And there are rumours around at the moment that Canon have a 100+Mp sensor in development - would surprise me if they don't but noise management would be a real issue as would frame rate, file size, storage requirements etc. Given though that the majority of pics are viewed online as JPEGs at 72dpi one does question this. Sales types though would of course present it as the best thing since sliced bread and can't be lived without - a bit like the German car manufacturers ridiculous horsepower race - how much does one need? As Brian says high quality prints can be obtained from current technology to A3 and beyond so is more going to improve anything? You can tell i don't work for either Canon or Noink - would be summarily sacked for such slanderous comments!

Comment

As Brian says high quality prints can be obtained from current technology to A3 and beyond so is more going to improve anything?
                        Yes I'm just thinking if David Bailey had a D800 or 5Dmk3,then maybe he wouldn't have 'got into trouble' with vougue on occassions for using his 35mm intead of MF :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
                          You can tell i don't work for either Canon or Noink - would be summarily sacked for such slanderous comments!
                          Can we start spelling Nikon correctly? It is not a banned word on this forum. Noink is close to being jargon and could confuse newcomers to the forum.
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Those that know me would never accuse me of ignoring the opportunity to upgrade camera gear and I also have a certain German car with more horsepower than I need. But, at the end of the day that slavery to every extra pixel, one more level of ISO matters not one jot compared to the picture itself.

I have photo's printed at A3 taken from a Canon D60 - 6.2MP and you couldn't use it at ISO400 and above, because it had digital noise the size of lentils, but use it within it's sweet spot and it produced some great results ........................ assuming I pointed it at the right place, at the right time.

The public don't care how long your photography apprenticeship has taken, how much time and effort went into the shot, or how much you have spent on equipment ..................... they either like, or don't like the shot and nothing else enters into it in their minds.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

The public don't care how long your photography apprenticeship has taken, how much time and effort went into the shot, or how much you have spent on equipment ..................... they either like, or don't like the shot and nothing else enters into it in their minds.
                              Truth !

Comment

Couldn't agree more Colin - the image is all

Comment

Working...
                                X