Speedlite 430EX vs 580EX - PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedlite 430EX vs 580EX - PLEASE HELP

sorry that the subject is misleading as there is no comparison between these two, clearly the 580EX winning streets ahead in what you get. however just need some help in making a decision. I am keen to get a flash and have previously rented the 580EX when I needed some flash power and found this to be an awesome flash. I was given a gift voucher and i intend to buy a flash. however with the amount covered by voucher I can only comfortably buy the 430EX without having to spend extra. If i go for the 580EX I would have to wait a bit and save up to make the difference (and I can only buy them from a specific mall). My question is if I went for the 430EX would I be selling myself short. I have never used it before? the 580EX is a big monster on my little 450D (with battery grip) but man it can pack a punch of flash power.

Any thoughts from those using (or have used) the 430EX. should i rather save up for the 580EX
    regards
    Donald

Re: Speedlite 430EX vs 580EX - PLEASE HELP

Donald from my point of view it depends on what you want to do with the flash, I initially bought a 430 and it did just about all I wanted for quite a long while and I added a 580 later when I needed more flashes and had the funds.

What I found was that the 430 didn't have as much power as the larger 580 and it would not control other flash units. If you only want an occasional flash for a bit of infill rather than using it as a primary light source in a studio or similar photo shoot I would have thought hat the 430 would be fine mine still serves me well and is frequently used for fill flash rather than the larger 580.

Comment

I have a couple of 580's and a 420. In hindsight, I should have traded in the 420, but at the time I thought there would be opportunities where a lighter, less powerful flash would be useful. In practice, whenever I need flash I grab a 580, so the 420 only ever gets used in multiple flash set-ups.

Any flash is better than a pop-up and you don't know how much you will use a flash in the future. Although the cost difference between the two is rather high, knowing what I know now I would go for the 580, but that is based on my experience against my budget. Your budget may be different.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Hi Donald, I was in the very same situation, I had not used the 580 so could not compare but I opted for the 430 based on my funds at the time, if I had waited for a 580 - I would, in all honesty, still be waiting now. So, for me, I was able to get a quality flash and I have used it quite a lot, the portrait I did of my Son some time back was using just one 430 and it was nowhere near full power.

Sure the 580 is bigger, better and more powerful, and it can act as a master, but if you have no other flashes to control until you can afford a second flash........

In the mean time you will have a great flash, and be able to do almost as much as you could with a 580, but you can do it now and get learning - buy the 580 later when you can afford it, then you will have a 430 as a second flash that the 580 can also control, if you need two flashes in the mean time, you could always hire a 580 again

just my thoughts, but I am still new to this :-)

Ian
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Are you able to get a used 580EX?? It does everything the 580EXII does
          ef-r

Comment

Donald, I don't do much flash photography and so it is actually horses for courses. I find the 430EX quite satisfactory- it is powerful enough. You can see some of my photos taken with flash ,for example the concert to celebrate the granting of City status to St.Asaph (People & Places). Of course if and when my interests widen for example if I wanted to take indoor pictures of large concerts & similar events I might consider up grading my flash & when I want to use two flash guns. So for the moment I'd advice you to go for the 430EX and see how you get on.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Donald. I started with a 430 and later added a 580, purely because I often use two bodies carrying different lenses. This now gives me the benefit of being able to use the 580 as a master and the 430 as a slave. However, in your situation I think the current overriding factor is that you do not have a flashgun at all, so If I was you I would get the 430 now and get cracking on learning how to use it. If in the future you find that your photography now exceeds the limitations of the 430 then you can either add a 580 to your kitbag or possibly trade in the 430 against the 580!

If it was me I would get what you can now, learn what you can now and have fun.....don't wait!

Andy

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice. Given me much perspective
                regards
                Donald

Comment

Let us know what you go for, flash is my next purchase so would be good to know what you go for.
                  Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

I am sure you will be very happy with either of those flash guns although I'd go for the 430EX; no point in running before you can walk- so they say. I am also quite sure that you will be able to stun,dazzle your pet tarantulla to "impress" all the forum members.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Theres's not much change out of £370 quid for a 580ex2 and an even more expensive 600 series on the way.
                      Is it just me, or have flashgun prices gotten a little crazy ?

I think if I was just starting buying flashguns I'd be considering something like the nissin i866 mk2.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                        Theres's not much change out of £370 quid for a 580ex2 and an even more expensive 600 series on the way.
                        Is it just me, or have flashgun prices gotten a little crazy ?

I think if I was just starting buying flashguns I'd be considering something like the nissin i866 mk2.

Trev
                        Strange you should say that Trev. cos I think the canon guns are well over priced. My son has 'borrowed' a Nissin from college and produced some outstanding results. Im looking at the Yongthinginymebobs at present!

Comment

I buy my flashes second hand
                          ef-r

Comment

some feedback! I am now the proud owner of a 430EX II flash. still getting to grips with it. thanks for all your input in helping me make a decision. will post some picks when I start snapping away with it
                            regards
                            Donald

Comment

Working...
                            X