Problem with off camera flash cord ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an EOS 5D MkII, which is a type A camera, and is compatible with ETTL flash, and also have a 580 MkII and 430 MkII flash, and a Jessops off camera extension cord. If the 580 is on the camera, ETTL is displayed, and I can use wireless flash with the 580 as the master and the 430 as the slave. If the 580 is used on the extension cord, the ETTL changes to TTL, and the 580 flashes but won't trigger the 430 slave, ie it seems to behave like a type B camera. It would seem that the extension cord is at fault and makes the flash think it is connected to a type B camera. The extension cord was bought about 18 months ago, well after the introduction of ETTL flash, and so I would have thought it would cater for this. Does anyone know if there are different configurations of off camera cord, as this would explain my problem, or is there any other possible explanation

Re: Problem with off camera flash cord ??

Got an answer to this on the Canon Fodder Forum - so just in case anyone is interested. There ARE different types of extension cord and, apparently, the Jessops extension only supports TTL - so be warned. A cord which supports ETTL must be used if full ETTL functionality is required.

Comment

Is it an old Jessops off cam cord ?

It's just I have a jessops one and it works perfectly - full ettl 2

Trev

Comment

Sorry I re-read your post your cord is only 18months old. I’ve used one of these for a minimum of 200 hours shooting. I've only stopped since going wireless radio.

The Jessops cord is marked “TTL off camera cord for Canon” on the bit that attaches to the hot shoe, but it is ettl.
        Since I have not used mine for a while, I tested it. I then set it up in the configuration you wrote above, except I used 1 580 as a master and another 580 as a slave.

IMG_8391 by mitch snapper, on Flickr

Sorry Northman, it looks like someone’s feeding you a load of old fodder.

Trev

Comment

CUT the cord .......... use these for full E-TTL or Manual http://youtu.be/NTUuFGTHskY
          Malcolm Alexander - Alexam Images - Canon 7D - 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM- 24-105 f4 L IS USM - 50mm 1.4 - Epson R2880 Printer - Speedlites Two 580EX II & 430 EX II - Lencarta Two 300w/s Studio lights

Comment

I know this post is late but thought I might mention that I too bought a Jessop's cord (E-TTL) and found it just wasn't good enough. There was a small copper pin sticking out which got caught in the small hole on my hot shoe and wouldn't come off. So I had to take my 5D2 with the cord attached to my local Jessops for them to release the E-TTL head which fits on to the camera hotshoe. I gave the local Jessop's Manager an earfull, and have now bought a proper Canon off camera flash cord. I also had problems releasing my flash from the bracket's flash show and this too was released by Jessops. I wouldn't touch the Jessop's off camera flash cord with a barge pole.
            Last edited by Nathaniel; 24-11-2012, 13:26.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Considering the price of the Canon cord, I'd seriously consider a radio-trigger instead for the convenience and flexibility.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Sorry tried to post and my internet connection dropped out due MY ISP problem not the forum
                Last edited by Trevoreast; 23-11-2012, 16:46. Reason: internet problems

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                  Considering the price of the Canon cord, I'd seriously consider a radio-trigger instead for the convenience and flexibility.
                  What radio kit would you recommend? I was thinking about a cable but was thinking a cable could be restrictive, therefore radio kit would be better for flexibility

John

Comment

I tend to use optical triggering (I have a 60D) but am sorely tempted by the Yongnuo 622c for around £65 for the increased flexibility and reliability. There is an active thread at the moment on here talking about the radio triggers.
                    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I tend to use optical triggering (I have a 60D) but am sorely tempted by the Yongnuo 622c for around £65 for the increased flexibility and reliability. There is an active thread at the moment on here talking about the radio triggers.
                      Thanks, I'll have a look for the post.

John

Comment

After I gave my local Jessop's an earful, they offered me an original Canon off Camera cord 2 for £14.99, which I have now bought.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          After I gave my local Jessop's an earful, they offered me an original Canon off Camera cord 2 for £14.99, which I have now bought.
                          Now that's a bargain Nat. I hope you enjoy using it!

Comment

Now that's a bargain Nat. I hope you enjoy using it!
                            I did not get two for £14.99 but only one. This cord goes as "off camera flash cord 2". i know that there is an "off camera cord "3" as well which I presume is for the latest Canon flash guns.

Nat

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              i know that there is an "off camera cord "3" as well which I presume is for the latest Canon flash guns. Nat
                              Not exactly. The Off Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3 is similar to the Off Camera Shoe Cord 2, but maintains moisture and dust resistance with weather-proofed cameras for off-camera shooting.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X