YONGNUO YN-622C radio ETTL II for Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tested the YN-622C using a 5DMKII and the Canon Speedlite 580EX.

I bought these units strictly for using outdoors in bright Sunlight. So I was looking for using E-TTL using hi-speed sync.

The 580 EX (note not the 580 EX II) settings
    ETTL Zoom Auto.

Camera Settings were
    Shutter Speed 320
    Flash Mode: E-TTL II
    Shutter Sync: Hi-Speed

THe Lens was the 24-105

When I zoom the Lens from 20-105 the flash zooms from 24-105

When I take the picture the scene is lit by the flash, no signs of the shutter curtain.

So it appears to work with the 580 EX very well. When I get outdoors I'll show you some pictures using this setup. But I'm pleased that it seems to be working.

Tom

Re: YONGNUO YN-622C radio ETTL II for Canon

Tom I know you've been treating yourself to Eos M etc and you've got other things to test etc.

Can you control the manual ouput or manual zoom of the 580ex from the camera ?
    I suspect not, but I'm asking on the off chance.

Trev

Comment

Hi Trev,

Not sure if this will answer your question or not, as I never tried to control manual zoom from the camera, so not sure how to do that.

But here are the settings:
      Flash Mode: E-TTL II, Manual Flash & Multi Flash
      Shutter Sync: 1st Curtain & Hi-Speed
      FEB: -3 to +3
      Flash exp. Comp -2-+2

On the E-TTL Mode When I adjust the zoom on the camera, it changes the zoom on the Flash. If I Change the Flash exposure, it changes the flash the flash output.

When I Set the flash mode to manual, and try to set the zoom, the flash stays in E-TTL. I move the flash to Manual and still cannot control the output or zoom from the camera.

Tom

Comment

I don't think you can manually zoom with the 622c, but can't remember where I read it!

Check out these sites with info...

Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Ok the YN-622C measures 23 cm long, 14.5 cm wide and 7 cm high.
          There are 3 radio channels and 3 group setting.

The unit is made of all plastic and has a cheap feel to the unit.

The package comes with 2 units, both can either be the transmitter or receiver. One mounts to hot shoe on the camera and the other mounts to the flash (see images below).

You will need a flash mount to mount the flash & unit to a flash stand.

There are test buttons on both units. Turn on the units, and the flash and you are ready to use them. they are very easy to use.

Tom

Comment

Testing with the 430 EX II

But here are the settings:
            Flash Mode: E-TTL II, Manual Flash & Multi Flash
            Shutter Sync: 1st Curtain & Hi-Speed
            FEB: -3 to +3
            Flash exp. Comp -2-+2

When I set the Flash mode on the camera to Manual, the flash auto sets to manual.
            With the Flash mode on the camera set to manual, I can control the zoom of the flash manually as well as the flash output.

So my findings so far are that for the 580EX you can control flash via E-TTL but not manually. With the 430 EXII you can control the flash from the camera both form E-TTL as well manually.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom
              Thanks that answers my question. Thanks for all your effort posting your findings with pics and all.

The manual zoom is handy for when you want to throw light at a narrower part wider scene.
              So maybe lens at 24mm flash zoomed to 105mm :-)

Trev

Comment

Working...
              X