Non branded flash guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non branded flash guns

Anyone had any experiences with non branded flash guns?

Re: Non branded flash guns

I used a Metz flashgun for ages, before I changed to Canon. It was a great bit of kit.
    Elaine

1Ds mk III;
    24 - 105 f4 L is; 300 f4 L is
    580 EX; 580 EX II; ST-E2

My Flickr

My Blog

Comment

I have 3 yongnuo flashes, and they work brilliantly ;-)
      Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Hello Thndr_strck, which of the Yougnuo is best?

Comment

Originally posted by Thndr_strck View Post
          I have 3 yongnuo flashes, and they work brilliantly ;-)
          I do have a yongnuo flashes (565EX).
          Raj
          Raj
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Derry-Canon Fan View Post
            Anyone had any experiences with non branded flash guns?
            Not sure what you mean by "non branded" flash guns. I thought all flash guns had a name i.e the brand such Metz,Youngnuo & so on.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have friends with Yongnuo flashes and they think I am an idiot for spending so much money on genuine Canon flashes ........... they may be right!

There is a certain logic that at similar performance, if anything goes wrong, for the cost of having mine fixed, they can throw theirs away and buy a new one, with a further 12 months warranty.
              Colin

Comment

No branded, sorry meant non canon.
                Same thinking here Colin.

Comment

I have 2x 565's with battery packs, and 1x 568 for the high speed sync
                  Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Bought from http://thephotogadget.com/

Comment

Hmmm, they even look like Canon Speedlights and you get the diffuser with the larger units.
                      Colin

Comment

Yeah, if you hid the name, anybody looking from a distance would think it was a 580 ;-)
                        I also have one of these on the one 565 which works very well http://store.lumiquest.com/lumiquest-quik-bounce/
                        Especially if the roof is too high or the wrong colour, or you are outside.

Comment

[QUOTE=Derry-Canon Fan;123088]No branded, sorry meant non canon.

Thanks for clearing up this puzzle. I myself was, at one time ,considering buying a new Yongnuo flash gun rather than getting my Canon 580 EX serviced- costs about the same for service and new flash gun but on the advice of an exerienced member I got my Canon serviced. I am glad I went along that route, as I always believe in the statement,"good things no cheap, cheap things no good"! It is quite possible I am not being fair to non Canon brand flash guns and I apologise to members who think I am an old fashioned, old hat! However I don't think I would want to compromise on quality, which I know that the Canon brand gives me.

Additionally I note that the "Canon refurbished 580EX "sells for about £150 upwards on Ebay whereas what would some one pay for a similar Non canon brand?
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 06-01-2013, 13:28.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for advice.

Comment

Non branded flash guns

I think you have to ask yourself whether you want a flash which'll work faultlessly, be completely compatible, be robust, weatherproof, and completely controllable from the camera, or whether you're happy to forgo a couple of these features to save 50% on the cost.

I bought third-party (Nissin) and then when it broke I went the Canon route as I didn't want to throw good money after bad. Now I have a decent main flash I'm considering a Yongnuo for a second 'gun (as it'll be used less and wont be a show stopper should it fail).

The 565 looks to be a decent flash, but the 568 offers some advantages (including high speed sync) but there is an incompatibility with the 60D, so I'm still in two minds, but a third party 'gun coupled with a Yongnuo 622c is a relatively inexpensive way to get off camera radio controlled flash.
                              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                              X