Flash upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash upgrade

I have a now quite old (pre 2005) Canon Speedlite 420EX, which still functions perfectly, and has a tilt and swivel head.

I know that it is tailored for full frame camera, and is a little wasteful on light spread, when used with a crop-sensor (in my case a 7D).

I don't do any studio work.

My question is, is an upgrade to a 320EX ll, worth the couple of hundred quid it would cost, or should I just stick with the 420EX until it dies, if it ever does that is?

Dave
    Dave

Re: Flash upgrade

I guess you have to ask yourself, why do you want to upgrade, and if you must upgrade, why do you specify a 320 (less powerful flash)?

What features are you most interested in... manual, or full ETTL, HSS?, high GN? Is size an issue?

About 6 months ago I bought a pair of Yongnuo 568EX II's - GN of 58, high speed sync, full ETTL - at the time, Amazon were doing them for £125 brand new, but they're £130 now! I'd recommend them!

Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Probably just a case of unnecessarily keeping up with the later technology I guess, but then I have a 7D, which I have no desire to change.

The 420EX has always worked seamlessly with a 300D, then a 30D, and now the 7D, with the guide number of 42 being quite adequate for what I've ever wanted to do with it.

The 320EX is just one guide number higher, so neither here nor there really. However, it is a bit smaller than 420EX, half the recycling time, and offers a lot more user control, via an LCD screen.

That said, it won't produce any better pictures than the 420EX.

Hmmm??, maybe I've just talked myself out of spending money

Dave
      Dave

Comment

I still use a 420EX.

I also have a couple of 580 EX11's which I tend to use more often, but the 420 gets used when I use multiple flash set-ups.
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post

The 320EX is just one guide number higher, so neither here nor there really. However, it is a bit smaller than 420EX, half the recycling time, and offers a lot more user control, via an LCD screen.

Dave
          Are you confusing the 320EX with the 430EX ? The 320EX has a guide number 10 lower than the 420, and has no LCD. If you are happy with the 420, why change ?
          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

No, not confusing it with the 320EX, just calling the 430EX a 320EX for some inexplicable reason. Put it down to a 'senior moment'.

It is the 430EX I was considering, but typing 320EX

As I said earlier, my tendency to want to keep up with later technology, or more money than sense perhaps

Dave
            Dave

Comment

Are you likely to use the additional features the 430 has ? I bought a 580EX a few years ago, and I'm still only using it very basically, even though I keep saying I'll learn how to use it properly. Apart from the "gizmos", the 430 has a 40% faster re-cycling time and a diffuser panel for wider lenses, are these additions important to you ?

I seem to be having more and more "senior" moments these days , and if you really want to keep up with the "latest technology", how about a 600EX RT ?
              John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

It was really the fact that the 430EX (got it right this time ), is a little smaller than the 420EX, and the recycling time is significantly faster.

As for the 'Gizmos', no probably not really needed.

600EX RT, that really would be 'overkill' for me.

Thanks guys, I reckon you have just saved me from spending £205.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X