Speedlite EX550 Lithium v NiMH for faster recycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedlite EX550 Lithium v NiMH for faster recycling

I always use alkaline batteries in my 550 gun after stopping using rechargeables as the flashgun stopped working properly, but during some research on a related matter I have found much discussion that lithium and rechargeable NiMH batteries will recycle the flashgun faster.
    Has anyone any practical experience of this, I would be keen to know which of the two types would recycle faster, given that both appear to recycle faster than the alkalines.
    I quite often take photos in school halls during events and because I am someway from the subject the flash will fire at full power and then take some time to recycle particularly as the batteries get weaker (I appreciate that this will happen with the other types as they become weaker.)
    I have seen the thread re flashgun batteries in this forum but couldn’t quite get the answer that I wanted.
    The debate is further complicated by the Duracell Active Charge batteries which seem to hold charge longer but are of a lower capacity (2000 mAh)

Re: Speedlite EX550 Lithium v NiMH for faster recycling

550 gun after stopping using rechargeables as the flashgun stopped working properly
    I don't know what batteries perform the best or why your flash stopped working properly.
    If you want faster recycle times you can get Hong Kong copies of the canon cpe4 for around £30.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
      I don't know what batteries perform the best or why your flash stopped working properly.
      If you want faster recycle times you can get Hong Kong copies of the canon cpe4 for around £30.

Millie
      Thanks for reply.

I assume that the cpe4 is an extra weight to carry around. Out of interest, how does it connect to the flashgun?

Strangely, I put NiMH batteries in my 550EX today and it would not work properly. It is powering, as the screen lamp is working, and the pilot light went to yellow after a long time and it flashed! …. But nothing after that!
      Last edited by derekc; 09-02-2010, 19:02.

Comment

On the 580ex i & ii the power socket is under one of the rubbber panels on the side.
        I assume it's similar to the 550ex
        Weight: 8 batteries plus casing and cord, you can strap it to your belt or stick in an inside pocket.

Sounds like your flash has problems, I would look at having it serviced if I was you, if you need it to be reliable.

Comment

On the 580ex i & ii the power socket is under one of the rubbber panels on the side.
          I assume it's similar to the 550ex
          Weight: 8 batteries plus casing and cord, you can strap it to your belt or stick in an inside pocket.

Sounds like your flash has problems, I would look at having it serviced if I was you, if you need it to be reliable.
          Thanks.

I take your point re servicing as I assume that it's possible that the cpe4 won't work either, especially if it's using NiMH batteries.

Comment

I suggested the cpe4 more as something to help with recycle times and battery longevity.
            On the problem with different types of battery, sorry I don't know about that, not much help.

Comment

I am very unsure about batteries at the moment.

I used NiMH batteries in my 580 EX11 and MR14 ringflash and both stopped working after a time. After some headscratching and fiddling about, the 580 seems to work perfectly normally using ordinary Duracells, but the MR14 won't even switch on. Canon quoted £386 to repair the MR14, not far off the price of a discounted new one!

Was it a coincidence, or not? Dunno ................ but I'll stick with Duracells until I know one way or another!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

I use my 550 with alkalines and a Quantum Turbo battery pack. Once the batteries in the flashgun get too low I find it behaves strangely. Sometimes it gives a full flash, sometimes it makes the camera freeze but everything works as soon as I replace the batteries; so I would suggest trying some fresh alkalines in it.

While on the subject of batteries, has anyone tried Duracell Procell alkalines? They seem to be cheaper than the gold tops but supposed to have a longer life.

The power socket is below the battery cover on the 550. On the 580 it’s on the other side so you can change batteries without unplugging the power cord.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  I am very unsure about batteries at the moment.

I used NiMH batteries in my 580 EX11 and MR14 ringflash and both stopped working after a time. After some headscratching and fiddling about, the 580 seems to work perfectly normally using ordinary Duracells, but the MR14 won't even switch on. Canon quoted £386 to repair the MR14, not far off the price of a discounted new one!

Was it a coincidence, or not? Dunno ................ but I'll stick with Duracells until I know one way or another!

Colin
                  That's exactly my problem!! Duracells are fine in my 550, nothing else seems to work! Anyone know why?

Comment

That's exactly my problem!! Duracells are fine in my 550, nothing else seems to work! Anyone know why?
                    The only thing I can think of is that rechargeables usually have a max recommended number of recharges. Are you using a set of batteries that’s had in excess of 600 charges ? Have you owned the 550ex from new and has it had heavy use? It’s quite an old flash relatively speaking.

I think the quantums are better, when I bought the canon there was some talk that with the Cfn 08 enabled the flash could be damaged with prolonged use. Not sure if that’s true, but it put me off.
                    I just use non rechargeables now, mostly because the rechargeables I’ve used, drain even if you don’t use them.
                    Millie

Comment

Originally posted by derekc View Post
                      I seem to recall that the 550 needed 4.8 volts to energise the firing circuits. That's fine with alkalines as 4 x 1.5v= 6volts. Rechargables only start off with 1.2volts, so there is barely enough to wind the thing up when it is freshly charged, loose a bit of juice and it is not likely to work at all.

However, I have known of 550's that don't suffer this at all, so it may well be that later versions had a production mod, to work similarly to the 580.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that rechargeables usually have a max recommended number of recharges. Are you using a set of batteries that’s had in excess of 600 charges ? Have you owned the 550ex from new and has it had heavy use? It’s quite an old flash relatively speaking.

I think the quantums are better, when I bought the canon there was some talk that with the Cfn 08 enabled the flash could be damaged with prolonged use. Not sure if that’s true, but it put me off.
                        I just use non rechargeables now, mostly because the rechargeables I’ve used, drain even if you don’t use them.
                        Millie
                        Yes - the 550ex goes back to my film days and so is old. I seem to remember it working with rechargeables as I said at the start of the thread. Perhaps a NEW 550ex (or 580 now) wouldn't display the same problems.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                          I seem to recall that the 550 needed 4.8 volts to energise the firing circuits. That's fine with alkalines as 4 x 1.5v= 6volts. Rechargables only start off with 1.2volts, so there is barely enough to wind the thing up when it is freshly charged, loose a bit of juice and it is not likely to work at all.

However, I have known of 550's that don't suffer this at all, so it may well be that later versions had a production mod, to work similarly to the 580.

Colin
                          Does that mean that the 580 shouldn't have the same problem?
                          And does the first part of the quote mean that I could have trouble with a cpe4 if I use rechargeables?
                          Last edited by derekc; 10-02-2010, 16:58.

Comment

I had a pair of 580 and I put many different types of batteries in with no problem, I'm using the 580ex 2s no problems so far.
                            What does the 550 manual say about batteries, anything specific; or just the size and number you need ?

Millie

Comment

I use Uniross Hybrio ... these are low self-discharge NiMH available as 2100mA AA size (and others). Since these keep their charge for ages I always keep four 'just in case'.

The main thing that destroys rechargable batteries is charging too fast ... since I started using a Technoline BL-700 I've not had a rechargable fail. [I generally stick to branded batteries]. Whilst a failure in a flashgun is inconvenient ... a failure in my GPS or Headtorch could be more serious when out hill walking in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X