Yongnuo YN 14-EX Macro Ring Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yongnuo YN 14-EX Macro Ring Flash

Hi, It's been a while since some of you purchased the flash.

What is you opinoin now?

Does it do all it says on the tin? Does TTL work ok? Can you adjust each lamp to deliver varying levels of light?

I'd be very keen to hear your views and maybe se some examples!

Cheers.
    The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Some sample images using Yongnuo ring flash all with 7D and 100mm macro at f16, 1/60sec.
      First one with both flashes equal power all others at 4-1 ratio bias from the left. All ETTL.
      Poor technical images but just taken to test the flash unit.

Bill

IMG_1938 by BillC2014, on Flickr

IMG_1940 by BillC2014, on Flickr

IMG_1941 by BillC2014, on Flickr

IMG_1943 by BillC2014, on Flickr

IMG_1946 by BillC2014, on Flickr

IMG_1945 by BillC2014, on Flickr

IMG_1944 by BillC2014, on Flickr
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

According to the spec. the flash supports "Master TTL flash".

Does anyone know whether this means it can trigger a slave? If so how do you configure it?

Thanks for your feedback.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

IMG_2177v1
          Camera Canon EOS 500D
          Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro
          Exposure 0.25 sec (1/4)
          Aperture f/7.1
          Focal Length 50 mm
          ISO Speed 400
          Exposure Bias 0 EV
          Flash On, Fired

Only spent a while playing with the flash. Infact one afternoon, so I can't tell you much about the flashes technical details. Seems to be easy to use though and well made.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Di

I think maybe there is too much flash on this one

Try putting the camera on manual mode, 1/200, f 8, ISO 400, the flash on ETTL and then control the exposure by dialling in either + or - flash exposure compensation until it looks right

stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

I've had this flash since Christmas, and have been quite impressed.
              The light is much more diffuse than my other Macro Flash (Canon MT-24EX), which I find is a bit of a beast, and I find that it takes less fiddling about to get a decent image with the Yongnuo unit.

Columbiarus - In response to your question, I think the "Supports Canon Master Flash" is a bit of fiction. The only functions that I've found lacking in comparison to the spec of the genuine Canon MR-14EX is High Speed Sync and Wireless Multiple Flash. I cannot find any way to get the Yongnuo unit to trigger a slave flash as Group C, which the Canon obviously can.

I'm not all that bothered though, as I've got a radio trigger with TTL pass through pins, so if I need a third flash I can use the radio trigger to fire it and adjust the flash power manually, so not a deal breaker.

I've not used the unit a great deal, but am intending to get some serious camera time in over the next couple of months, so we'll see how it goes from here.

I'll post some images once I've had time to process them.

Hope that helps.
              My Homepage: http://www.adrianking.net/ and on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeking/

Comment

I've been putting this flash through its paces during the orchid season, and its been pretty much attached to my camera 24/7 over the last couple of months so I thought it was time that I posted a few shots that I've taken, as well as giving a few opinions that I have about the unit.

Overall, the flash is a bit of a hidden gem and performs well. I've found that it actually syncs up to the full 1/250 sec offered by my EOS40D without any visible banding, which is a bonus. The adapter rings cover the Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro and EF 70-200 f/4 L IS lenses that I most use for macro and close-up photography and battery life is good.

Occasionally its a bit slow to recycle and I've had a few shots where it hasn't fired as a result of me taking shots in quick succession, but on the whole it hasn't let me down.

However, I have found a couple of shortcomings, well for me at least.

1) I've discovered that the lack of high speed sync is actually a bit of a nuisance, for me at least. I've discovered that If I waited for nice bright but overcast to give me diffuse lighting for my orchid shots that I'd never get out and about, so I've been using the flash to soften the shadows on my orchid shots when its been bright and sunny. However, not having HSS means that even with the ISO set to 100 that I'm having to use quite small apertures in bright conditions so I'm not getting the nice smooth blurred backgrounds I like as I'm having to use a smaller aperture than I'd like. This isn't a fault of the flash per se, but like any flash unit a lack of HSS does mean that you can't use wide apertures in bright sunlight, and I hadn't realised how much I'd miss this feature.

2) The battery door is a bit of a weak point. I dropped the flash, not from a great height, but it was enough to break the catch on the flash body so I'm having to use Gaffer tape to keep the door firmly closed. I've searched online and found that several of the YongNuo units have a weak battery door, so I might try to get it repaired under warrantee

Apart from that, I've been really impressed, the unit does what it's supposed to an has given me some really good results at a fraction of the price of a MR-14EX.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced ring flash to learn with, I'd thoroughly recommend it as it gives you the convenience of ETTL as well as full manual control, and doesn't cost the earth.

I've found that the following settings serve me quite well in bright conditions.

Camera set to -1 stop, flash set to -2 stops used in Av mode.

Here are a few orchid shots taken with the unit.

I hope that this update has helped.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by AdeKing; 01-07-2014, 12:27.
                My Homepage: http://www.adrianking.net/ and on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeking/

Comment

Working...
                X