Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST-E2 can it control two speedlights manually

I have a 5D Mk2 a 550EX and a 430EX and a ST-E2
    My question to all you experts is will the ST-E2 Trigger the speedlites in manual mode.
    Looks to me like you can operate the flash in manual only when they are attached to the camera.
    Or am I missing something?

Regards Graham (all the gear but no idea)

Re: ST-E2 can it control two speedlights manually

I am no expert but I am pretty sure the answer is yes.
    I have used a ST-E2 to fire two remote 580ex guns - but cannot remember if they were set to manual - can't see why this set up should not work.
    Just try it and see

David

Comment

Originally posted by CountDavid View Post
      I am no expert but I am pretty sure the answer is yes.
      I have used a ST-E2 to fire two remote 580ex guns - but cannot remember if they were set to manual - can't see why this set up should not work.
      Just try it and see

David
      Hi David, Thanks for your quick reply.
      The 430EX has a switch off/slave when off is selected you can select manual mode and set a flash power from 1/1 to 1/64 manually as soon as you switch to slave to link to the ST-E2 the manual options disappear.
      My 550EX works the same way only it has Master/Slave/off and the manual option is only available in the off position.
      I think if I want to experiment with manual off camera flash I need a cheap and cheerful trigger. Unless I'm missing the obvious which at my age often happens.

Regards Graham

Comment

I think the answer is yes. We have previously operated more than one 580EXII set in manual mode from an ST-E2. I have had the settings on individual guns different for each gun. The only caveat I have is that you are talking about 550 and 430 guns which I've never used. Also if and when you want to change settings on a gun you have to walk round each gun to do so.

I have to admit that I sold my ST-E2 in favour of Yongnuo 622C-TX control and 622C transceivers. We find these far more flexible than an ST-E2 as it gives the ability to control individual flash units from on top of the camera. The only alternative we could find was going down the route of buying ST-E3-RT and a set of the latest 600 series RT flash guns. That is seriously expensive and far more than we could justify.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
          I think the answer is yes. We have previously operated more than one 580EXII set in manual mode from an ST-E2. I have had the settings on individual guns different for each gun. The only caveat I have is that you are talking about 550 and 430 guns which I've never used. Also if and when you want to change settings on a gun you have to walk round each gun to do so.

I have to admit that I sold my ST-E2 in favour of Yongnuo 622C-TX control and 622C transceivers. We find these far more flexible than an ST-E2 as it gives the ability to control individual flash units from on top of the camera. The only alternative we could find was going down the route of buying ST-E3-RT and a set of the latest 600 series RT flash guns. That is seriously expensive and far more than we could justify.

Many thanks for your advice I've just ordered the set

Regards Graham

Comment

I don't think you'll regret it. The 622C-TX is an excellent bit of kit. You can set your flash guns up in different groups with as few as one gun per group. Then you control each group from the top of the camera. The transceivers sit nicely under the flash units and it really is very easy to manipulate the guns.

One thing we did find that threw us off course a little was the inbuilt switch off mechanism. On the 580EXII there is a custom function which will switch the flash guns off after a preiod of between 1.5 and 15 seconds. It appears the flash chooses the time itself. This caused us a few problems in that the flashes needed to be woken up and as the time delay seems to be randomly chosen inside the flash sometime none, one or more guns had gone to sleep. Pretty aggravating. It could be worth your while to look through the custom functions of your guns and switch off what we found to be a very annoying feature.

Comment

Once again many thanks for your valued advice.

Best regards Graham

Comment

You may find this guide to the 622's useful.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Your good advice is never ending.
                  regards Graham

Comment

Working...
                  X